• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android or Iphone which is better, your opinion

just for fun b/c I hear people all the time bragging that their iphone is the best, I favor the iphone myself but that is probably due to the buggy 1.5. Why do you like one over the other?
I like Android b/c I'm a 'Rebal'!:p
(even my spelling is rebellious!):rolleyes:

Seriously though. Multitasking abilities, choice of network, comparably growing market and consumer awareness, supporting Google over Apple, vastly superior customization ability, non-'East Berlin' business plan... etc:)

Upvote 0
i like android because i like to "tinker" and you can't really tinker with an iphone.. i also really like widgets. but if the iphone wasn't on at&t i wouldn't recommend it to my GF. but since its on atnt and shes on sprint i recommended the hero (which she doesn't like because it doesn't have a keyboard.) she doesn't want a moment cause she doesn't wanna be (phone twins) so right now she is sticking with her bb

for someone that just wants a phone that does apps. i recommend the iphone.

Upvote 0
I enjoy my Android experience although I have no interest in rooting my phone. I miss a lot of the apps my sister can get on her iPhone, but I need a hardware keyboard and didn't want to switch to AT&T.

I have found lots of apps on Android that do what I want, so I can't really complain. I like the integration with Google - Gmail, Calendar, Contacts - it makes my life a lot easier and saves me so much time.

Upvote 0
You can't really ask that type of question here lol. But, yeah right now I'm digging android, So many choices in devices and carriers its impossible to not be able to find one that suits your personal taste and needs. I admire the iphones wide selection in accessories, cases, mounts, docks, the whole shebang due to its standard form factor that never changed, I personally think that's neat. I don't know what OS I will choose a year from now but right now android has my heart...right pocket. :)

Upvote 0
I think if you are looking solely at the OS's, it depends on the type of person you are. Everyone mentions 'tinkering' with the phones, but the Moment is one of the WORST Android phones to play with. Fortunately, XDA spun off to SDX and we have a few options, but the HTC devices have 1000x the support.

So, back to the OS's themselves. The people I know that purchased the iPhone did so because it just works. You want it to do something that it doesn't, buy an app. Overall, the limitations of the phone, are the biggest asset. Without the added functionality, the device never runs out of memory, it never lags, and never needs to be reset.

Going to the 'Droid' devices, I know people that buy them for the 'apps' and those that buy them for the flexibility. I know people that bought them to take them apart and ones that flash them to the most current build of which ever ROM is hot. So it's a nice bridge between, what I consider the 2 biggest platforms (iPhone vs WinMo/RIM). I place WinMo and Berries in the same category since their primary function was to take the office with you: email and document viewing.

Overall, there's no right or wrong way to go here. Droid 2.1 is getting way better than 1.5, but there's still a long way for it to mature before it catches up completely with the ease of the iPhone. Sure, it's more customizable, but you still have glitches, memory issues, the internal storage problem and a few others that require apps to fix. Once those are rolled into a final build and not 'options' it will be a tougher issue to recommend the iPhone at all.

Upvote 0
I like Android b/c I'm a 'Rebal'!:p
(even my spelling is rebellious!):rolleyes:

Seriously though. Multitasking abilities, choice of network, comparably growing market and consumer awareness, supporting Google over Apple, vastly superior customization ability, non-'East Berlin' business plan... etc:)

I'm a rebal too!

Upvote 0
I can summarize this in 2 parts:
1) My choice: Android
2) My reasoning: All android phones may not be as fast as the fabled iPhone, but it's diversity that allows everybody and their brother to GET an Android phone. They range from simple and watered down, to the next newest greatest (upcoming phones as well as the Nexus and Droid).

Upvote 0
This is the age old PC vs Apple debate:

- If you want an 'appliance' that does what it says, but no more, then go for Apple.

- If you want a 'computer' that you can tinker with and make it potentially do more than it claims then get the Android.

Keep in mind that PCs and Androids are user friendly enough now that even Apple folks can figure them out! :)

Upvote 0
I would never go to AT&T, it sucks in this area, but if the Iphone was out on Sprint, I still wouldn't get it. I like the open source and less restrictive environment it creates. I know a lot of people are really excited about the 2.1 update and they are hoping that I will make them love their phones, I can tell you it will. I think that those that are afraid to root are being a little silly. If you have the knowledge to be on this site, you can get 2.1 on this site right now. It is very easy. You'll be so happy when it is all said and done. The whole phone experience has changed so much it is like being on a different phone. One the is better than the IPhone!

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0
Ever since I got my moment (my very first smartphone) in december, I have kept comparing it to my cousin's iphone. We have been going back and forth about which phone was better, even though I argued that I could multitask and could change something as simple as my background without having to unlock or jailbreak my phone, deep down I knew his iphone was better than my moment :'(
UNTIL LAST NIGHT!!!!! when I finally had enough of everyone on here talking about 2.1 and got the guts to go through updating it and rooting it myself (I had never tried to before, I was afraid of bricking my phone and voiding whatever warranty). I am soo glad I did, it's like I got a completely new phone!! thank you guys soo much for all the information u guys have put up and helping out complete noobs like me. It was easier than paris hilton so all of u people afraid to take the leap don't be, it's wayy better than cl14 and I have had no problems whatsoever (that includes battery life/streaming apps, earpiece speaker). My pick now is easily android, I look at the new iphone 4.0 os and i'm not even impressed anymore lol

Upvote 0
Ever since I got my moment (my very first smartphone) in december, I have kept comparing it to my cousin's iphone. We have been going back and forth about which phone was better, even though I argued that I could multitask and could change something as simple as my background without having to unlock or jailbreak my phone, deep down I knew his iphone was better than my moment :'(
UNTIL LAST NIGHT!!!!! when I finally had enough of everyone on here talking about 2.1 and got the guts to go through updating it and rooting it myself (I had never tried to before, I was afraid of bricking my phone and voiding whatever warranty). I am soo glad I did, it's like I got a completely new phone!! thank you guys soo much for all the information u guys have put up and helping out complete noobs like me. It was easier than paris hilton so all of u people afraid to take the leap don't be, it's wayy better than cl14 and I have had no problems whatsoever (that includes battery life/streaming apps, earpiece speaker). My pick now is easily android, I look at the new iphone 4.0 os and i'm not even impressed anymore lol

Raphi, want to blow your friends Iphone away like I have? Add swype to your phone and he will have nothing to say after that! Swype is a format of texting without out having to tap each symbol, you probably seen the Samsung commercial? If not look in youtube?

The problem is that I NO longer use the qwerty keyboard and only swype?
My Iphone friend is now looking into adding swype to his phone...hahaha

Upvote 0
Raphi, want to blow your friends Iphone away like I have? Add swype to your phone and he will have nothing to say after that! Swype is a format of texting without out having to tap each symbol, you probably seen the Samsung commercial? If not look in youtube?

The problem is that I NO longer use the qwerty keyboard and only swype?
My Iphone friend is now looking into adding swype to his phone...hahaha

Yeah swype is kinda cool

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones