• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android OS 2.2?

So the Droid is getting flash nice.

What makes you think that? Considering how long it took for 2.1 to hit the Droid, you may have to wait a while. I know Froyo/2.2 is meant to tackle the fragmentation problem by putting app updates on the market, but there's only so much market updates can do--the framework-res.apk will almost certainly need to be patched, and there's the JIT compiler. Don't know how they're going to manage that without an OTA patch.

Upvote 0
What makes you think that? Considering how long it took for 2.1 to hit the Droid, you may have to wait a while. I know Froyo/2.2 is meant to tackle the fragmentation problem by putting app updates on the market, but there's only so much market updates can do--the framework-res.apk will almost certainly need to be patched, and there's the JIT compiler. Don't know how they're going to manage that without an OTA patch.

I'm just saying that because when I read the article that was one of the options that was being added. It doesn't really bother me if flash is not installed but it would be nice. The only thing I do miss about my storm is again the swipe to move to different txt chats.

Upvote 0
Voice dialing via BT, pls. I'm amazed this isn't on the phone already.

Or how about native speed dial. Thats been a standard in most phones (dumb phones included) for years now. I tested the new HTC Desire rom the Zeus team over at alldroid has been working on and it is going to be sweet if you're a fan of the HTC Sense UI. Besides native speed dial in that rom, you also get wicked copy/paste functionality as well as a browser enhancement only seen in the iPhone as far as I know. When you pinch or zoom on web text, it fits the text perfectly to screen to matter how little or much you pinch or spread. A hugely missed feature now that I've flashed back to my standard rom until they get things fixed/finalized on the Desire rom.

Anyway, yeah....speed dial pleeeeease in the next rel.

Upvote 0
Or how about native speed dial. Thats been a standard in most phones (dumb phones included) for years now. I tested the new HTC Desire rom the Zeus team over at alldroid has been working on and it is going to be sweet if you're a fan of the HTC Sense UI. Besides native speed dial in that rom, you also get wicked copy/paste functionality as well as a browser enhancement only seen in the iPhone as far as I know. When you pinch or zoom on web text, it fits the text perfectly to screen to matter how little or much you pinch or spread. A hugely missed feature now that I've flashed back to my standard rom until they get things fixed/finalized on the Desire rom.

Anyway, yeah....speed dial pleeeeease in the next rel.

Speed dial is a little redundant on Android devices in my opinion, though the HTC Hero had it if I recall correctly thanks to Sense UI.

Upvote 0
Google REALLY needs to tackle the fragmentation problem before 2.2 Get all the other android phones up to 2.0 or 2.1 or the highest version they can first. It really can't be THAT hard to do.

With that said, I really wouldn't mind an upgraded market. Maybe one where you can clear what you've previously searched for!! Other than that I wouldn't mind a better messenger app and maybe some ways of customizing the UI. It's stuff like this that is too often overlooked and ignored, but it's something that if done pleases most users.

Upvote 0
You can achieve this by putting a shortcut on your desktop. Maybe create a folder to put all of those shortcuts into, even. Now you have a database of speed dials.

Theres an app called "Speed Dial Old School" that lets you assign contacts to numbers like on old dumb phones. Then you just dial 1 and hit send or whatever number you assigned. Has worked well for me.

Upvote 0
Google REALLY needs to tackle the fragmentation problem before 2.2 Get all the other android phones up to 2.0 or 2.1 or the highest version they can first. It really can't be THAT hard to do.

Are you... confused? The responsibility of updating a phone to 2.1 rests on the manufacturer: HTC, Samsung, Motorola, whatever. Not Google.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones