Android OS Development

Last Updated:

1. SSMI

SSMI New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm wondering what language the Android OS is written in? Is it possible to modify it and install the modified version on a device? Could you run it virtually in windows?

Advertisement
  2. 2FR35H

2FR35H Well-Known Member

Its Predominantly Java and whatever else that you would use to program for Linux. Yes that would be called Custom Roms and I do believe you can test it in an emulator.

3. mkeath

mkeath Well-Known Member

Not it isn't predominantly Java. The preinstalled programs (minus the browser and a few others I would think) are Java, but the OS itself is probably exclusively written in Assembly(?) and C/C++.

4. SSMI

SSMI New Member This Topic's Starter

I was afraid it might be assembly. It there a way to use the original Android source to make a completely custom ROM? May not be able to manage it but would like to know if it is possible.

5. mkeath

mkeath Well-Known Member

It's not entirely assembly. Most likely you would be dealing with C/C++ exclusively and would only need to look at Assembly for debugging purposes.

6. markb

markb Well-Known Member

You can make your own custom ROM. I believe there are a few out there already. You should be able to find them with a quick google search. This page was the 1st result when I had a look:

Custom ROMS (NEW) - Android Forums

You can get the Android OS source code here:

Get Android Source Code | Android Open Source

Mark