Android OS discharging battery within a few hours on G1Support

Last Updated:

1. murdocc

murdocc New Member This Topic's Starter

Someone please help! After my G1's last update to Android 1.6 I have an issue with my phone being discharged in about 4 or 5 hours. When I look in the Battery use in Settings, it shows:

Android OS ... 77%
    Android System ... 9%
    Dialer ... 4%
    Android Core Apps 3%
    etc

Something is wrong and the OS is not working properly. Sometimes after restart, it starts working right and the battery holds for 2 days (and the battery use does not show Android OS at all - instead there is display use, etc). But then it happens again and Android OS eats up my battery very quickly.

Anyone know what I should do?

Advertisement
  2. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

do you find yourself doing anything particular on the phone on the days that it dies quickly?

3. murdocc

No, the phone dies within a few hours even if I unplug it from the charger and don't do nothing with it at all.

The strange thing is that once in a while this does not happen and it lasts for days. Like now, and if I look in the Battery Use, it is totally different:

Cell standby .... 36%
    Display ..... 23%
    Phone idle .... 20%
    Bluetooth ... 10%
    Voice calls .... 8%
    Android System ... 3%

the difference is that there is no Android OS eating up most of the battery with near to 80% battery use.

I also noticed that when the phone discharges quickly, it lags when navigating through menu. So I guess there must be some kind of a loop in the OS doing something and discharging the battery totally.

Is it possible to roll back to Android 1.5 somehow? Or any other suggestions how to fix it?

4. matthenry87

matthenry87 Well-Known Member

You dont have any apps that run in the background and are constantly checking for anything?? Twidgit? Google Voice? Any sports apps? Also, do you use your Power Widget to make sure everything is turned off? Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, Syncing, and Screen Brightness??

5. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

@matthenry87 if it where an app it would have shown up under battery usage.

it is possible to roll back to 1.5, but I'm not gonna recommend it.

When I first updated to 1.6, my android was very lagging for the first few times with no apps running. I didn't notice anything with the battery life since I had it plugged in the majority of the time.
    after restarting the phone a few times it ran normally and I haven't recieved any other problems from it yet.
    If the phone doesn't resolve the issue itself, you may need to go back to 1.5

6. murdocc

Thanks for the advice, I will give it another week and see if it solves itself.

7. murdocc

Sweed, thanks for advice. Amazingly enough it solves itself with time and the issue is gone after 2 weeks.