• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android OS eating up battery

adnan1234

Jul 31, 2013
Android OS has been eating up my battery time and time again. It itself gets stimulated and consumes alot of battery like about 60% and in its normal state it consumes about 6-7%. I have done factory reset twice and at the moment I am having just 2 appa installed but it has got nothing to do with the apps. Android OS prevents the fone from going into deep sleep. I have all the syncs and location servicea turned off. I wikl attach some screen screenshots that might help you if you ask for them.
I have Samsung galaxy S II plus running 4.1.2 Jb

Well I've been using Batterystats app and it just tells that android OS has "partial wakelock - 15h 1m" while the battery got low in 14hr so this OS thing has been eating the battery from the previous charge. Now again fone is on charging because battery got too low and 'Android OS' is still showing up in the battery stats chewing up on the battery

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
These are few screenshots i took. they may help you diagnose the problem

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-07-31-20-02-21.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-31-20-02-21.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 157
  • Screenshot_2013-07-31-20-02-31.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-31-20-02-31.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 151
  • Screenshot_2013-07-31-20-02-58.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-31-20-02-58.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 171
  • Screenshot_2013-07-31-20-59-51.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-31-20-59-51.png
    72 KB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot_2013-07-31-21-11-05.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-31-21-11-05.png
    141.7 KB · Views: 137
  • Screenshot_2013-07-31-21-11-15.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-31-21-11-15.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 153
  • Screenshot_2013-07-31-21-11-28.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-31-21-11-28.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 159
Upvote 0
At the moment i have 14hr 19m on battery and screen-on time is just 3hrs and 'Android OS' has kept it awake for 9hrs 41m.
without this 'Android OS' at the top, i get 2days of battery time on average!
and this OS thing is preventing it from going into deep sleep which is abnormal.
I know, I have used the fone with OS thing in its normal state and battery gives great time. So thats why I am concerned about it.

Upvote 0
If we're distinguishing "Android OS" from "Android System" then my guess is that "Android OS" is the kernel. Is this a stock, unrooted device or a modified one (with a custom kernel and a choice of cpu governor)?

I use GSam Battery Monitor to keep an eye on mine, but can't say what info it will give on wakelocks from Android OS because I don't have any wakelocks from that source.

Upvote 0
I kind of solved a bit of it myself. It was this game 'subway surf' which kept the sensor up for 10hrs! I uninstalled it and now 'Android OS' dropped down from 60% to 15%.. I still see 15% to be abnormal.
And yh my device is unrooted and i havent done anything to it yet :) and i will post those wakelock thing from wakelock detector tomorrow for sure if the problem is still there. I guess this was only a temporary solution or maybe OS Went down all by itself as it does often because i didn't use to play that game before but this 'Android OS' thing was there so definitely there was some other cause too which made me factory reset it.

Upvote 0
Would you mind posting your suggestions in the thread?

Its just that anyone who has this issue months from now and find this thread will come to a dead end once you've taken support to PMs :)

If we make progress I will definitely post the results here. I've gotten good with troubleshooting battery issues on Android and might even open a dedicated thread for it. But going to PM allows me to work with a person without all of the noise. Months from now, a detailed solution will be more appealing than a dozen shots in the dark :)

Upvote 0
Seems one day of each week my phone gets red hot and eats battery, and other days it's fine. I also noticed the camera app continues to run backgrounded if you hit 'home' vs. 'Back' and seems to keep the camera active which also causes an uber battery drain. On a normal day, I manage 16-hours of battery with Bluetooth, WiFi, 4G, sound, power saver, sync enabled. Phone is Galaxy S3, but under 'Android OS' it's often around 80%. I never worry about it

Upvote 0
Adnan, you missed a few of my instructions, but that is my fault. I posted a few things in this thread and other things in my private message. So, here's a comprehensive list. While I'd prefer that you email me (so that I can get an alert and follow it more quickly), if you want to keep it in this thread, that's fine as well. So for now, please do the following;

• remove all task manager/killer apps that you may have installed
  • remove all battery manager/saver/monitor apps that you have installed (like that WLD you took a screenshot of)
  • power off your phone, charge to 100%
  • unplug phone, power on, let sit for about 8 hours untouched (your 18% screen on tells me you didn't do this), WIFI on and connected to your home router, please
  • After about 8 hours, grab the phone, and take screenshots of settings > battery (your about phone pic is noted, thank you)
  • please tell me your router model. I currently suspect a D-Link DIR-655 or a Linksys E-Series, but please clarify for me.

The best way for me to troubleshoot a phone is hands on. However, since we can't do that, I need you to follow my directions to the letter in order for me to get a clearer idea of what is going on. Otherwise, I'm just taking uneducated guesses, which I do not like to do.

Upvote 0
Tangent:
While I'd prefer that you email me (so that I can get an alert and follow it more quickly)

FYI you can subscribe to email notifications for threads. Near the top click Thread Tools, then Subscribe To Thread, then choose "With email notifications". You can add a filter to your email service/client that will send a copy to your SMS gateway and get a text when it comes in, too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones