• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android OS for any touch screen phone

batteryboy

Lurker
Nov 11, 2010
Hi

I am new to this forum and new to Android OS. i do not own an Android phone. But i am Engineer and i am planing to develop few things. i want to know that is it possible to install Android OS on any Touch Screen Based phones? (most people are doing it on Windows mobile or Iphone hardware based phones)

Can you install Android on lets say Samsung T919 Behalf I. i guess

I was just wondering if you can remove old touch screen phone's Proprietary OS and install ANDO os.

is this possible?:eek:

Don't kill me if this question has been repeated 1000s times i try searching on Google and other forums. can't get any satisfactory answers.

No. Go buy an Android phone.

Long answer: Android, the OS, is only compatible with certain hardware--so far, with ARM architecture for the most part. It's not going to run on anything, though there's a project to convert it to x86 use (so you can load it onto your netbook or whatever just to try it out). If we're talking about porting Android to reasonably high-end smartphones--the Nokia N900, some of the iPhone models, and the HTC HD2--then yes, there are ports. If we're talking about your average piece-of-shit budget handset? No ****ing chance. The Samsung Behold is a last-last-gen featurephone that doesn't have an OS. It's not even a smartphone. It doesn't have the right hardware, it doesn't have sufficient specs. Trash it and buy a real smartphone.

Upvote 0
If you're an engineer you should be aware of what effort goes into porting an OS to another platform. So whilst it may in theory be possible to port Android to the phone of your choice, it probably is not practical.

This. It's one of those things that can be done but will be extremely labor intensive and you may not get the result you want in the end anyway. You could potentially spend hundreds of hours on the project and end up with an extremely laggy POS phone. You're probably better off buying an Android phone unless you're looking for another hobby.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones