android OS security issues

Last Updated:

1. TopherG

TopherG Active Member This Topic's Starter

Im a little worried that all the apps I'm downloading from the marketplace have access to so much personal info. I've done searches and no one seems to be talking about apps accessing contact, personal info, phone calls, location, internet history. I'm used to checking my bank acct. on the go and with android I'm afraid to do so. Is there a real security threat using android? From what I understand there is no real screening of apps in the marketplace.... google is relying on users to flag apps? :eek: This worries me.

Advertisement
  2. ap3604

ap3604 Well-Known Member

3. TopherG

thanks for the link, it did help! It help me realized that its my own fault if I download an app that is malicious not googles for having it in the marketplace. Wow, this is going to be a deal breaker for me. After reading that it makes me not want to download anything from the marketplace... I would think google would do a little more to protect us:confused:

4. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

I just wish that when you attempt to download the app and it lists all that stuff that application will have access to you could uncheck certain things to control the app. For that reason I don't download some apps that look cool, just because of what it says it will access (phone identity is a big one for me - assume it doesn't mean just ESN but phone number too)

5. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

That's the tradeoff to have an open market like Android is.

You can have an open network with no policing and more options for apps, or you can have a closed network like apple and end up with less options. It's all in what you want!

6. TopherG

I think I would go with closed over having my identity stolen by a malicious app or have my phone number and all my contacts numbers and emails sent to a 3rd party...

7. TopherG

I too wish we could uncheck and have more control over the apps we download. I downloaded a keyboard app last night and all I can think about is if its stealing my passwords and logins....

8. TopherG

maybe I'm just being paranoid... but I guess its safe if no one else is worried about it.

9. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

just don't download the apps, most of the apps that have access to things like that are either extensions of functions or replacement to phone functions. but at the same time those apps only have the access internally in their app, so if it's the bank app you don't trust then i hear ya, but if it's other apps your worried about when you USE your bank app, then in that respect it's just as safe, if not safer than checking your account online on a PC, it's all personal preference though