Android OS using 20-60% of battery. (rooted)

Last Updated:

1. Colbyy

Colbyy Member

Sorry sure there is thing everywhere about this. But I have searched and read so much about it last night and today I am lost. Basically just rooted yesterday with sickins kernal. (US Cellular GS2 SCH R760) rooting went fine. after messing around I looked at battery usage and see Android OS using 57%. After using watchdog I noticed suspend and events/0 to be the culprits. I'm not sure though. I'm new to this. Any ways I flashed droidz's kernel tonight just to see if that made a difference or not. But it did not. But his is supposed to have good battery life anyway so I'll keep it. Any help/input on this suspend and events/0 thing would be great.

2. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

Try installing juice defender and recheck.
  3. Colbyy

Colbyy Member

Should mention even before root. I had auto sync off, background data off. And only would turn data on for when I wanted to check facebook or instagram. I haven't changed any of that. Only thing I did was root and flash kernels.
  4. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

One thing you've not said: what's the battery life like? Same, better or worse? Those stats only report what fraction of the power usage comes from what component, not what the actual power usage is.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  5. GrenW

GrenW Well-Known Member

A good point. If you're not syncing and not got screen on that often then there's not much left to use the battery.

The OS will use a large proportion of not very much!

BetterBatteryStats might be good at tracking down any problems you MAY have
  6. Colbyy

Colbyy Member

Well I would notice the battery going down 1-5% everytime I looked at my phone where as before it didn't. But lastnight I flashed this ROM and back on sickins kernel. After phone sitting/charging through out the night the OS is only using 9% and android system using 19%. The numbers don't mean much I know but suspend and event/0 stopped coming up in watchdog which were my main concern I assumed they were the problem watchdog would give me a warning and they would both be using 80-90% of CPU I think is what it meant. Either way it didn't seem normal
  7. Colbyy

Colbyy Member

Going to see how the battery and things are through out the day at work. Maybe the ROM fixed things.
  8. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Otherwise did you perform a factory reset once you flashed it over, if not, i know issues like battery life and performance can come into play.
  9. Colbyy

Colbyy Member

The ROM? Yes
  10. Colbyy

Colbyy Member

Too root I followed this guide didn't do factory reset. I did do all the resets and wiping before flashing the rom though.
  11. Colbyy

Colbyy Member

This is what kept running.

This is some usage from today. [​IMG]

But been off charger at 830am and at 79% right now. So I'm not complaining
  12. pedroc1999

pedroc1999 Well-Known Member

downlaod battery calibrate and calibrate it at 100%, you should do that everytime you reflash a ROM or kernal
  13. ExtremeNerd

ExtremeNerd Well-Known Member

As mentioned earlier, you have to remember that the percentage is on a 100% scale. If you're not using your phone much, and based on the pictures, you're not, something will absorb a higher percentage. I wouldn't worry about it unless you see a significant drop in life.

Use it for a few days, then check how the life is. General thought is you should get about 1% of battery drain for each minute of screen on time.
  14. Colbyy

Colbyy Member

I know it wasnt so much the percentages I was worried about before it was suspend and event/0 coming up in watchdog. That was draining the battery a lot. But today with the reflashed ROM it seems to be more normal and suspend and event/0 havent come up in watchdog. And thanks
  15. Colbyy

Colbyy Member

10hrs.. was better before all this..
  16. ExtremeNerd

ExtremeNerd Well-Known Member

Colbyy, you got nearly three hours of screen on time from a 1650 mAh battery. Personally, I would say that is pretty amazing. Granted, it looks bad because it only got 10 hours on it, but that is pretty heavy usage. I don't think there is much to be done to improve life with that kind of use.
  17. Colbyy

Colbyy Member

Really? That's good to know, guess I'm doing alright then
  18. Colbyy

Colbyy Member

I went back to droidz's kernel now. I have a feeling tomorrows numbers will be even better