• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android Os using up GB's worth of backgroud data

Mihkelj

Lurker
Jan 14, 2017
My Just5 Freedom X1 Android just used up around 9GB of mobile background data and about 30GB's over Wifi. In one day. This got me close to my 15GB monthly limit so I have a serious problem. The data usage is listed under Android OS, the second highest user is Chrome with 190MB. I can't even imagine what would draw so much data in such a short amount of time. My WiFi usage for half the month had been 1.2GB, now suddenly it's over 30GB. See the attached pictures. Any help?

Same phone here, also have massive data usage from Android OS. Seems to have started a few days ago. Havent downloaded anything, no updates. Android version is 5.1.1 lollipop
Wifi usage has been 25gb from 18.december to 15.January 13.13gb of it is Android OS
Data usage has been 14gb in the same time period, 9gb of it has been android OS

Upvote 0
I messed around with the phone, deleted my youtube app and data. Also disabled the setting that lets google monitor the device for security threats. Go to google settings, security and disable the device scanning. After that Android OS data usage has been very low. the youtube app is still there and i have used it tho, maybe it was just the google settings thing.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. My Telco sent me a data usage warning and i discover that my data has spiked 2gb in the past 2 days. Like the OP, the culprit was "Android OS". Not very helpful. I then went to check every Android app one by one and found the culprit to be of all things, the Android Beam service. Like wth. I've stopped the service and disallowed background data for good measure and am waiting to see if this helps.

Screenshot_2017-02-02-17-32-49.png
Screenshot_2017-02-02-17-32-41.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones