• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android permissions explained, security tips, and avoiding malware

Thanks for the bumps.

Just completed the latest edit adding in info about 2 more permissions including the phone state/IMEI one. Also added the
androidwarning.gif

Upvote 0
As I understand things, Network & Location permissions are used by some apps for ads & ad-targeting (show me ads for things near me).

In & of itself, from a security perspective, this is mostly benign, to me.

Following ad links... well... goto exercise usual caution.

Thanks, i went to add this info but the edit buttons are gone lol :thinking: Gonna contacts the admins and see what I can do to help edit the guide still.

Upvote 0
Thanks, i went to add this info but the edit buttons are gone lol :thinking: Gonna contacts the admins and see what I can do to help edit the guide still.
I stickied this, I didn't intend to lock you out of your own post! (I wonder if that's how it's supposed to work, of if I did something wrong.)

I've unstickied the thread (for the time being), see if you can edit now.

Upvote 0
I stickied this, I didn't intend to lock you out of your own post! (I wonder if that's how it's supposed to work, of if I did something wrong.)

I've unstickied the thread (for the time being), see if you can edit now.

Haha no worries, I actually talked to Phases in IRC and he said that was some temporary thing and edit buttons should be back soon.

Thanks though.

Upvote 0
Thanks, alostpacket.

I've been looking for this kind of info ever since I started downloading apps, and seeing all the permissions required.

What sucks is, almost all apps (and I only DL highly rated ones) require tons of sensitive permissions... so it seems risky to DL pretty much any app other than first party ones. :(

Hopefully as awareness increases, competition will grow, and you will be able to find decently coded apps that don't require lots of permissions. Right now our hands are tied... if you want a good app, you have to put up with it snooping through your data. There is no alternative. :\

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones