• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Phone 7 Theme

If you are doing a 480x800 screen, start with an image that is 470x665 and then follow Paulmz dimensions of

The 470 came from the same 110 x 4 + 10 x 3.

The 665 comes from 125 x 5 + 10 x 4 = 665.

1x1: 110 x 125
1x2: 110 x 260
1x3: 110 x 395
1x4: 110 x 530
2x1: 230 x 125
2x2: 230 x 260
3x1: 350 x 125
3x3: 350 x 395
4x1: 470 x 125
4x4: 470 x 530

Maybe this can make it simpler: Android7 Full Screen Widget Slice Photoshop Template - 480x800.

This download is just guides and saved selections, so it should load in GIMP just fine.

Upvote 0
I have gotten a few questions about how I did things like this:

300466288_photobucket_43000_.jpg

300466288_photobucket_42935_.jpg

300466288_photobucket_42878_.jpg

300466288_photobucket_42853_.jpg

300466288_photobucket_42840_.jpg

Cropping one picture and making it into multiple icons. I have done a write up below, it is for Droid X or any phone with 480x854 screen resolution and 480x800, just make sure you follow the right one for your phone..

480 x 854 phones, (Droid X, Droid, etc.)

Start with an image that is 470x720. The justification is as follows:

There is a 10 pixel space between icons in every direction (except between the side of the phone screen and the icon), so if you're doing 4 1x1 icons across the top row of an image that is 470 pixels wide, that number comes from the following calculation 110+10+110+10+110+10+110 = 470.

5 icons 1x1 down (5 rows) is 136+10+136+10+136+10+136+10+136 = 720, that's how I figured out how big the starting image needed to be.

I then cut out sections that were theses sizes depending on columnXrow for each icon. This is best laid out on a piece of paper to begin with. I do all my math up front deciding where cut outs need to be and then start working.

1x2: 110x282
1x3: 110x428
1x4: 110x574
2x1: 230x136
3x1: 350x136
4x1: 470x136
4x4: 470x574
Large (3x3): 350x428
Middle (2x2): 230x282
Small (1x1): 110x136

Example:

lets say you want a 2x1 then 1x1 then 1x1, it would be:

230 + 10 + 110 + 10 + 110 = 470 pixels wide.

You're 230x136 2x1 icon would start at the top right of your image, coordinates (0,0) Your second cut would start at (240,0) (230 width of first image + 10 pixel space).

I typically start with my 470x720 image and then start cutting out icon sized chunks and pasting them into new image files to work on them further.

480x800 Screen Resolution Phones

If you are doing a 480x800 screen, start with an image that is 470x665 and then follow Paulmz dimensions of

The 470 came from the same 110 x 4 + 10 x 3.

The 665 comes from 125 x 5 + 10 x 4 = 665.

Thank you so much!! :D This helped a lot haha. Finally figured it out. I guess I'll have to manually scale every picture to 470x665. The Only thing left to do is figure out how to add Shadowed boxes on Gimp and Text! :D Thanks a lot!!

Upvote 0
Thank you so much!! :D This helped a lot haha. Finally figured it out. I guess I'll have to manually scale every picture to 470x665. The Only thing left to do is figure out how to add Shadowed boxes on Gimp and Text! :D Thanks a lot!!

On Gimp, I make a selection box 110x10. I think allign it along the bottom. I right click, and add foreground color (something like that I make the box black). Then I right click and choose fade, and fade it to background at 60% and it creates the smoked box.

Upvote 0
Here's what I've got using the sizes I posted above...

2z6ryah.png

They don't line up perfectly, I'm not quite sure why, but I think on the screen of the phone it might be close enough...

I can't believe that I forgot to post my findings on the line-test images you posted. Sorry!

Anyway, here's the problem with the way that it's set up right now. The widget widths are normal at 110px increments with 10-pixel gaps between them The widget heights, however, are not the same and are going to make for a difficult time creating images. The problem is that the widget heights are apparently in 140px increments with a 21-pixel horizontal spacing. Another unfortunate aspect of this is that there is no way to compensate for this. The 11-pixel difference in the spacing can't be evenly distributed to the widget heights.

This must just be how the default launcher spaces it's icons. I don't suppose that there is any option to increase to 5-icon rows with the stock Nexus launcher? It's a shame that LauncherPro isn't working for you. I think that ADW has the same icon spacing options as LauncherPro. Could you try that instead?

A possible alternative fix to this problem would be "fudging" the image size of the widgets by placing a smaller image inside the full-sized png. Here is an example of what I mean using a 1x1 widget: this widget image's size should be 110px wide by 140px high. If you leave a 1-pixel gap at the top (or bottom-- but keep it consistent for all images) and a 6-pixel gap on the left- and right-hand sides of the image, this should show up on the desktop as a symmetric 22-pixel gap on all four sides of the widget. A bit of a bigger spacing than what the rest of us are using, but it could make your icons line up better.

Maybe to explain it a little better, in a 110x140 png would be a 98px wide by 139px high image, centered horizontally and aligned either to the top or bottom edge of the full 110x140 background:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Try placing a bunch of these on your homescreen and see if the spacing is consistent.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Hi Paulmz, been lurking in this thread for a while, finally got the chance to register so that I'll be able to shout out my 'Thanks!' to you man, all the time you've spent and work to make this all happen, that's just godly mate! This is just sooooo freakin' awesome, been seeing all the other folks work and they all look great!

Am still waiting for BabyBlueJeff to post his Domo Icons though, I really want to have a Domo-kun theme, as much as I want to create Icons of my own, I'm afraid I just suck so badly with this. @_@

anyway, uhmm.. just would like to ask how do you guys have that Black notification bar? is it like the default for your phones? I have a LG Optimus One, and was wondering how I'll have that Black Notification bar. thanks in advance for any replies and more power to y'all!

*ps, if there's anyone else who's doing a domo-kun theme, perhaps you can share your icons? hehe >:)
http://androidforums.com/members/babybluejeff.html

Upvote 0
Hi Paulmz, been lurking in this thread for a while, finally got the chance to register so that I'll be able to shout out my 'Thanks!' to you man, all the time you've spent and work to make this all happen, that's just godly mate! This is just sooooo freakin' awesome, been seeing all the other folks work and they all look great!

I'm glad you like it. I seem to be stuck on it myself... continually tweaking it and adding new things.

anyway, uhmm.. just would like to ask how do you guys have that Black notification bar? is it like the default for your phones? I have a LG Optimus One, and was wondering how I'll have that Black Notification bar. thanks in advance for any replies and more power to y'all!

As far as I know, notification bar changes are through different ROMs. So, if you're not rooted, you're stuck with the stock one. Unfortunately LG uses a white notification bar unlike the black/gray ones that most other devices have.

*ps, if there's anyone else who's doing a domo-kun theme, perhaps you can share your icons? hehe >:)
http://androidforums.com/members/babybluejeff.html

I don't have any Domo icons, but in case you didn't see it in my Beautiful Widgets Skins thread, I did make a pretty basic Domo clock skin:

I appreciate you registering to post your "thanks". Be sure to post screenshots when you're done!

Upvote 0
Just gotta say thanks for ALL the help. If I wasnt a struggling college student I would donate some, alot of you probably know what its like, living off of top ramen, haha. Anyway, Here is what I have so far..
snap20110123_204824.png

snap20110123_204834.png

I have one request. My setup is complete except for one icon. I was wondering if the OP can do this. If ya can, I have included the pictures. The icon should be called Dungeon Defenders. I would love it if it could be 4x1. Btw my device is Samsung Vibrant. Again, I know you have been helping everyone for months, I greatly appreciate it!
MAIN2.jpg

MAIN.png

Upvote 0
I have one request. My setup is complete except for one icon. I was wondering if the OP can do this. If ya can, I have included the pictures. The icon should be called Dungeon Defenders. I would love it if it could be 4x1. Btw my device is Samsung Vibrant. Again, I know you have been helping everyone for months, I greatly appreciate it!
MAIN2.jpg

MAIN.png

Hope these work for you:

Reactions: Soul2Soul
Upvote 0
Hi guys, I've been following these forums and this thread in particular for a month or so. Have also gone from a photoshop newbie to someone who can just about get round using it.

Anyways, have made all my own icons using Pauls walkthroughs etc... and am happy with my current setup, but am still having major problems in uploading screens.

I'm not rooted, I'm on a Desire and so need to go down the long winded route with using the SDK thingy. As far as I'm concerned, I've installed everything I need to but have issues when trying to open ddms. A black pop up box appears for a split second and then disappears. Nothing else happens.

I've googled around and seen a few people with the same issues, but have yet to find a step-by-step guide of how to get past this problem.

Would appreciate it massively if anyone could help out a struggler with either a guide or video or something..........pleeeeeeease!!!

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Hi guys, I've been following these forums and this thread in particular for a month or so. Have also gone from a photoshop newbie to someone who can just about get round using it.

Anyways, have made all my own icons using Pauls walkthroughs etc... and am happy with my current setup, but am still having major problems in uploading screens.

I'm not rooted, I'm on a Desire and so need to go down the long winded route with using the SDK thingy. As far as I'm concerned, I've installed everything I need to but have issues when trying to open ddms. A black pop up box appears for a split second and then disappears. Nothing else happens.

I've googled around and seen a few people with the same issues, but have yet to find a step-by-step guide of how to get past this problem.

Would appreciate it massively if anyone could help out a struggler with either a guide or video or something..........pleeeeeeease!!!

Cheers.

I don't have an answer to your problem, using the SDK for screen shots made me crazy so I downloaded MyPhoneExplorer from the market....one of the "extras" of this prog is that it takes screen shots with a click of a button and i didn't have to root my phone, very easy!

Upvote 0
I don't have an answer to your problem, using the SDK for screen shots made me crazy so I downloaded MyPhoneExplorer from the market....one of the "extras" of this prog is that it takes screen shots with a click of a button and i didn't have to root my phone, very easy!

Heard that I could possibly use Shootme, PicMe etc... on a nonroot but all the ones I tried didnt wanna know.

Will go check this one out now and hope its a success.

Many Thanks.

Upvote 0
:thinking:

Installed.

I guess the option I am looking for is 'load screenshot'??

I do that and get a 'no device attached to USB' error. Phone is connected via usb and wireless, has usb debugging enabled and have tried both 'charge' and 'disk drive' option.

Kinda stuck again!!

Upvote 0
hi, I'm new here.
I recently discovered this great thread tried making some icons for my phone and it didn't turn out so well. The gaps in between each icon were too big. Did i do something wrong? i used the following dimensions for 480x800 while making the icons:

sc1.png

Btw, i'm using a samsung galaxy s phone which has a 480x800 resolution. anyone knows the exact dimensions for the icons? Thanks alot!

Upvote 0
:thinking:

Installed.

I guess the option I am looking for is 'load screenshot'??

I do that and get a 'no device attached to USB' error. Phone is connected via usb and wireless, has usb debugging enabled and have tried both 'charge' and 'disk drive' option.

Kinda stuck again!!

yes 'load screenshot' is correct. I don't use charge or disk drive options at all....i just enable usb debugging and all is good here.

Perhaps their forum may help... FJ Software :: Forum anzeigen - English section

Reactions: neil363
Upvote 0
hi, I'm new here.
I recently discovered this great thread tried making some icons for my phone and it didn't turn out so well. The gaps in between each icon were too big. Did i do something wrong? i used the following dimensions for 480x800 while making the icons:

Btw, i'm using a samsung galaxy s phone which has a 480x800 resolution. anyone knows the exact dimensions for the icons? Thanks alot!

Not sure, but are did you set Auto-Fit Items in the LP Homescreen settings? And did you set 4 columns x 5 rows in the Homescreen settings?

Reactions: gamerhan
Upvote 0
ok so I completely understand the concept and how to do it. and i already have it on my phone but want to do my own pics and text. I have the Droid Pro and needed the dimensions for the dvr widgets ex. 1x2 1x4 4x1 etc..... my resolution I believe is 320x480 HVGA if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Ive found some really cool pics that would make it go really good.

Upvote 0
hi, I'm new here.

If you're using LauncherPro, which I'm assuming you are, here is a quote from Page-1/Post-1:

"Before you start placing widgets on the homescreen:

1. Make a blank (preferably black) wallpaper to go behind the widgets.
2. Assure that "Auto-Fit Items" option is selected in the LauncherPro settings.
Click here for examples plus a "why-and-how" to make this adjustment.
3. Change the number of rows to 5 by pressing: [MENU]->[Preferences]->[Homescreen Settings]->[Number of rows]->[5]. Do not adjust the "5 Icon rows in homescreen" setting under "Advanced Settings".
"

The dimensions you are using are specifically for a 5-row setup. This should fix your problem... but now you'll have to place some more icons on the homescreen with the extra row to fill.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: gamerhan
Upvote 0
ok so I completely understand the concept and how to do it. and i already have it on my phone but want to do my own pics and text. I have the Droid Pro and needed the dimensions for the dvr widgets ex. 1x2 1x4 4x1 etc..... my resolution I believe is 320x480 HVGA if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Ive found some really cool pics that would make it go really good.

Use the Droid Eris dimensions on Page-1/Post-1.

Upvote 0

I had similar problems when I first tried screenshots and, sorry to say, I can't really remember what I did to fix it. The only things I can suggest are:

1. Make sure your Java is up to date.
2. Make sure you have all of the correct files in the correct folder:

Once it's up and running it works great. I keep my phone on "Charge Only" with "USB Debugging Enabled". If it doesn't work after checking this stuff, just try uninstalling and reinstalling the SDK. I've had some people do that and it worked. Sometimes files get lost during the install.

Reactions: neil363
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones