Android Phone as a Bluetooth Receiver?

Last Updated:

1. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was wondering if anyone knew of an app that could make an Android phone act as as a bluetooth receiver. The phone being a deactivated Droid ERIS I have laying around that I'm not using. What I want to be able to do is connect my laptop to the ERIS with bluetooth (laptop has bluetooth connectivity) and have my laptops audio go to the ERIS (ERIS would be plugged into a set of speakers through it's 3.5mm headphone jack). In essence, the opposite of what people usually use a phones bluetooth connectivity for. Anyone know of an app that can do this?

Advertisement
  2. riffdex

Bump

3. riffdex

Bump :/

4. riffdex

5. riffdex

Bump

6. timex597

timex597 Active Member

You could use Gmote server. Gmote > Android Remote

It isn't Bluetooth, but it uses WiFi. Most normal video and audio files can be played through the phone from your computer. It works pretty well.

My question is, if the only thing you want it to do is have external speakers, why don't you just plug the speakers into the laptop directly?

7. riffdex

I've taken a look at gmote but I'm pretty sure its not what I'm looking for (thanks though). The reason is b/c my laptops 3.5mm headphone jack is broken (there's only 1). I'm attempting to get all of the sounds from the laptop to go through bluetooth to a set of speakers.

8. riffdex

Bump. Does anyone have any idea if an app like this would be possible? (even if you don't personally know of an app that does this?) Please let me know your input o_O

9. padragantrbs

padragantrbs New Member

why dont you just buy bluetooth speakers for your computer? they arent expensive and any kind of audio sent from yout computer to phone is gonna loose quality because of the phone.

10. riffdex

You dont realize how unbelievably cheap i am :)

EDIT: Plus, I would like to use my current speakers I already have, just need a way to make them into bluetooth speakers.

11. skilaufen

skilaufen Well-Known Member

I think I get what you want to do. You want to use the phone as a pass through for the laptop's audio. So when the laptop plays a file it goes via Bluetooth to the Eris and out the Eris' headphone port to a set of speakers or head phones.

That said, I hate to say it but I don't think it can be done. I thought that when using bluetooth it disengages the headphone port and vice versa.

I hope I am wrong as I would like to see it work for you.:)

alostpacket likes this.
  12. skilaufen

skilaufen Well-Known Member

One way to test it is to make a call via bluetooth and see if it can also be heard via speakers or headphones connected to the audio jack.

Just a stray thought.

13. chulew

chulew Member

I would like to do this too. A gent in church is hard of hearing but has an evo and I thought the easiest/cheapest way to do this is with a audio dongle BT transmitter and an app. Then he can choose his own headphones too.

14. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

In theory you could (maybe) do this but it would mean programming a different kind of Bluetooth, rather than A2DP. This is because of what skilaufen said above about the audio jack being tied to the A2DP mode.

As for the Eris though, it doesnt even really have the CPU horsepower to receive data and send it out to audio using a workaround like you would need to.

The EVO might, but still it's unlikely anyone would bother coding such a thing as the userbase would be so small.

WI-FI would be a much easier solution though. Hence why some recommend RemoteDroid

Sorry for the downer post -- but I hope that sheds some light