• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android phone for hearing aid users

I've been trying to find out about Android phones that are good for hearing aid users but been largely unsuccessful so I called my local Three shop and explained that I've recently had 2 hearing aids fitted and need to find a phone that will work with them. They couldn't have been more helpful - they did some research on the internet before I got there and had some phones waiting for me to try out today. They called each phone I tried and let me try it out for quality of the call with the induction loop. The Galaxy S2 doesn't work with my hearing aids (tried two different ones), the HTC Sensation XL worked but was poor quality and the HTC One X worked but was also poor. The best call quality with my hearing aids was the Sony Xperia S which I think I'll be going for tomorrow.

Hearing aid user here also.
I currently use the Droid X2 with no problems. A lot of it also depends on the amount of loss you have. I have to use my left ear for calls, otherwise I wont hear a thing. And sometimes with some folks I have to take my aid out and just shove my phone into my ear and make a tight and closed situation just to hear.

Most phones have a setting on them for hearing aid users. My HTC Droid Eris and my Motorola Droid X2 have it. I can't recall its name at the moment.

Best thing to do is try out EVERY phone possible. Get what works best foe you. I personally try to avoid phones calls. If I can text that person... wife, kids, parents, work/boss then I do.

Good luck with your search. And don't get discouraged with some folks, trying to help you may be a new thing for them as well.

Upvote 0
I've been trying to find out about Android phones that are good for hearing aid users but been largely unsuccessful so I called my local Three shop and explained that I've recently had 2 hearing aids fitted and need to find a phone that will work with them. They couldn't have been more helpful - they did some research on the internet before I got there and had some phones waiting for me to try out today. They called each phone I tried and let me try it out for quality of the call with the induction loop. The Galaxy S2 doesn't work with my hearing aids (tried two different ones), the HTC Sensation XL worked but was poor quality and the HTC One X worked but was also poor. The best call quality with my hearing aids was the Sony Xperia S which I think I'll be going for tomorrow.
hi, I am also a hearing aid user i struggle every time i need an upgrade but some blackberry phones are hearing aid compatible and have a function to switch to hearing aid user, I currently use blackberry curve 9300, it's brilliant, i don't have to have it on loud speaker or use a hearing hook to hold a conversation

Upvote 0
If my understanding of the Hearing Aid Compatibility setting on cell phones is correct, (I am a hearing aid user), this setting on your phone is not an amplifier, but a trigger device that opens the Tele-Coil program on your hearing aids. Some aids have teli-coil option and others don't, but there has to be a magnetic field present to trigger the tele-coil switch in the aids. This is not an issue with land line phones as the speaker has a large enough magnet to trigger the switch, but with cell phones, it has to be artificially induced.

If your hearing aids are not tele-coil equipped, and/or you are not wearing a telecoil neckloop device, the setting on your cell phone is of no use.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones