• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android phone with USB OTG (host)? (besides Droid)

undrwater

May 24, 2010
Howdy! First post! :)

I'm interested in a GSM (AT&T) phone that's got USB host capability. Other than the Droid, I haven't seen anything yea or nay about this.

Does anyone have an idea if any phone besides the Droid (including upcoming), has this functionality?

Looking at the table style of the Dell Mini5, I figure that might be a possibility. How about the Galaxy S?

I had to go back to my anwser I made on 4/30.

Here is pretty much the same question
http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/70361-external-usb-storage.html

Here was my first reply
USB Host isn't offically supported on Android..yet:D

Their was a dude who put a home-brewed host on a Droid a while back. My guess is that as Android starts getting bigger in the tablet market, we'll see some more ports on these tablets.

Put your vote in, google's been listening in on this:
Issue 738 - android - I hope Android will implement and support the USB host feature - Project Hosting on Google Code

Reactions: -V-O-Y-A-G-E-R-
Upvote 0
I had to go back to my anwser I made on 4/30.

Here is pretty much the same question
http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/70361-external-usb-storage.html

Here was my first reply

Thanks for the reply Chroma!

That addresses the software side of things, which I'm not too worried about. If it's in the hardware, it's sure to find it's way to the software. :)

I'm curious if there is any known hardware (besides Droid) that has OTG. Unlocked phones are acceptable as long as they work on AT&T's 3g.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
The short answer is "no." Even the Droid doesn't really support it (no power supply). What we need is true USB host support like Windows Mobile devices have (Toshiba TG01 is the latest). We need a 100 mA (minimum) power supply and driver support. All of the latest phones have the chip set support, but none (well almost none) have it turned on, drivers included and a power supply.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones