Android Phone without a Cellular Account ?

Last Updated:

1. swbca21

swbca21 Active Member This Topic's Starter

In theory it seems an Android phone could work for web access without a cellular account . . . like a WiFi-only iPad works without cell service. And why not Exchange Active Sync over WiFi without a cellular account. ( Exchange Active Sync works over WiFi on my phone when I configure the phone with the local internal LAN address of our Exchange server . . showing that no T-Mobile system or servers are needed for Exchange active Sync to work. )

It would be nice to have a few 'extra' Android devices sitting around for web access and music players without paying the minimum $30 + $10 per month for a family cell account for each device.

If an Android phone is completely uselesss with WiFi only and no cell account . . Why ? Do the new Android tablets work without a cell account (like the WiFi only iPad).

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Its not. You can use an android without a cell account just like you said, with wifi only. THe only thing you wont be able to do is make calls and text, but actually Google Talk can probably do that.

3. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Why not something like this?

Samsung Galaxy Player, Better Than iPod Touch? | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

swbca21 and UBRocked like this.
  4. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Nice find IOWA!

5. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

What can I say, I'm really into Android ^^