1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Android phones in HK?

1. mackytung

mackytung Active Member

Hey. I'll be going to HK this April and I was wondering if they sell android phones there? If so, are they fairly new? I'm hoping to buy the nexus s there. And if the galaxy s II is out, maybe that. Also, are android phones cheaper there? Around how much would it cost in us dollars there?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Guamguy

Guamguy Well-Known Member

I haven't been in HK for a while, but the total models sold in Hong Kong is more than 2X the models sold in the entire US.

Hong Kong is the heaven where a mobile fan dies and goes to when he is judged virtuous.

Yes, you can find any Android phone imaginable in a tech mall as well as all sorts of different phones you never knew existed. HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, lots, perhaps you may also find some Huawei, ZTE, Dell and so on. Note that Hong Kong 3G frequency is 2100.

Do note the phones are not cheap because these are not subsidized nor in contract. I also recommend some bargaining. Do note that the phones are unlocked, which means they will work with any GSM carrier, but if you're bringing them to the US, they will only work as far as EDGE only. If you're planning to use them anywhere in Asia, then its no problem. But then again, if you're in South East Asia, you can find a very healthy selection of smartphones anywhere.

The Nexus S however, will work with the T-Mobile USA on 3G. It supports 900, 1700 and 2100.
  3. mackytung

mackytung Active Member

oh. alright. thanks. :)

well, my budget is about 500usd. :) hopefully i can get a nice one there. a new one. and im from the philippines, so 3g wont be a problem.
  4. Guamguy

I think for the Nexus S i suspect you might have to budget for $600 or more. At least prepare to bargain. Hopefully you can get one for between $500 to $600. But you will need to go around and ask at the stores.
  5. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Apart from the US carrier variants, you can find any cellphones you want in HK, including the obscure Docomo phones that you normally can't buy outside of Japan.

My advice would be to stay away from the smaller shops and buy from the major electronics retailers only. For the last 5 years the level of competition in the cellphone market has caused the prices to be pushed to rock bottom, meaning that nearly every single shop sell phones at the same price. The only exceptions are the smaller shops, who would sometimes try to sell them at a HIGHER price than normal to unsuspecting customers. You can try to haggle with them, but the most you would get out of it would be the same price as the major retailers. So save yourself the hassle and go straight to the major retailers.
  6. mackytung

mackytung Active Member

alright. thanks. :)

any estimate how much the galaxy s II would cost there? :p so new to this.
  7. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

It's not out yet, so no one really knows for sure.
  8. Guamguy

If newly released, expect the Galaxy SII to be quite expensive. I'm looking at least $800 plus without a contract, unlocked, no subsidy.

When it comes to Hong Kong it's shop and bargain, shop and bargain.

If you got an existing unlocked Android, try getting one of the prepaid mobile data SIMs. It can help you navigate around the place. Places like Hong Kong are just asking to be commuter navigated using Google Maps.