Android Phones on Orange UK

Last Updated:

1. julesp

julesp Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I am currently on Orange UK using an HTC Touch HD and WM 6.5. Come December I will be able to upgrade my phone, and after lots of reading about the android phones I am hooked on getting one of them. The question is what phones do people think will be available.

Currently there are:

HTC Tattoo
    HTC Hero
    Motorola DEXT

I have been reading alot about the HTC Dragon/Desire, SE Xperia X3 and the Motorola Droid. Do you think, or are there any rumours of any of these coming to Orange UK or are they just going to concentrate on the IPhone now they have it?

Thanks for your help/advice.

Advertisement
  2. InkAnna

InkAnna New Member

Hi,

I've just got an HTC Tattoo on Orange which come with Android 1.6. The trouble is that Orange supply a very customised version and you don't get GMail with it (or YouTube) - this seems a major flaw.

You also don't get a lot of documentation with it so when you hit problems it is difficult to find forums that will deal with the Orange version issues.

When I tried the Marketplace to see what apps I could install I found that I could not sign in - you need to set it up with a Google id. Eventually I rang up Orange customer support and they said they would have to set it up from their end - but this cannot be done while the Tattoo is making a call, so could I ring back with a different handset....

InkAnna

3. fieldy

fieldy Member

I'm using the HTC hero on Orange after switching from the Touch Diamond. It's so much better than the Win Mobile set up, everything is so much smoother ;-)

The Sense UI is quite similar to the TouchFlo thing on the HD/Diamond so you'll feel at home.

Best to try one out in a shop though and make sure.....

4. julesp

julesp Member This Topic's Starter

Had play with a friends Hero and think i may get one on a 12 month contract! Esp. as my girlfriends phone just died so she can have my touch HD.

Cheers

Jules

5. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

This is a total disgrace.

Why would they block it on that handset and not the hero? Makes no sense to me at all.

I have a Hero on Orange, and it's better than any winmo phone I've had. In my experience, it's best to remove Orange from the equation and use the forums to solve problems. Orange have no idea what Android is.

6. epuiatti

epuiatti Well-Known Member

Spoke to a carphone warehouse rep today and he told me that the milestone is definitely coming out in a few weeks...

7. Griever

Griever Well-Known Member

The problem with getting a branded phone is any new updates have to go through your provider, before getting released on the phones, HTC Hero is the one I'd recommend although momentary functionality is an issue, one of the main flaws being you can't send things through bluetooth on the hero. a few other minor things which may or may not get sorted. However HTC is currently tweaking android 2.0 (eclair) to work with the sense UI. See :-

HTC Hero getting Android 2.0 Eclair update, keeps Sense UI - GSMArena.com news

This update is set to sort out out a few the current bumps, however expect an extended wait for a branded release of eclair. When I called orange regarding the matter of eclair, they forwarded me to the ROM update. :confused::confused:

8. chiefwiggum

chiefwiggum Member

The Tattoo on Orange is called the Tattoo ink, hence why they've stripped stuff out.

9. ldma

ldma Member

I got teh HTC Desire on Orange...working well, though the 3G signal is not the best in my area.

10. spatuluk

spatuluk Well-Known Member

Orange have the Motorola Milestone, which is the European name for the Droid. It's not cheap, tho!

11. T3RBO

T3RBO Well-Known Member

Orange also have the Xperia X10 and X10 mini (lime).

12. Xavier

Xavier Well-Known Member

This device is sold via the 3rd party company, Carphone Warehouse though - Not directly sold via Orange retailers..

13. Sheshnag

Sheshnag Well-Known Member

14. T3RBO

T3RBO Well-Known Member

Absolutely no Orange branding on the X10i :)