Android phones: Which has the loudest audio out?

Last Updated:

1. tyrellmf

tyrellmf New Member This Topic's Starter

I have owned a Desire since its Australian launch, and it is unequivocally the best phone I have used since the venerable Nokia N95.

I also have an iPhone 3GS provided by my benevolent employer, which in general I don't particularly like.

There is only one thing about the iPhone that is going to make it hurt to give it back to my employer when I leave at the end of this month. Audio volume.

Specifically, when I have my Desire connected to an external amplifier such as the car stereo (a daily occurence) or the stereo in my loungeroom, while it sounds pretty good, it cannot match the iPhone for volume, or the general 'meatiness' of the sound, and in the car it means I have to turn the stereo's volume up way higher than I do compared to when I use the iPhone, while still not getting sound of the same quality.

I have looked at the Dell Streak based on positive comments about its audio quality, and I will buy one in a heartbeat if I can establish that its sound is noticeably louder and or better than the Desires.

My question is: Which Android phones have the best audio quality when connected to an external amp, and can any match the iPhone?

Or has anyone used both the Desire and the Streak for external audio that can give some feedback?

I have tried GSMArena, but their technical measurements of audio quality mean nothing to me.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. CptGemini

CptGemini Well-Known Member

Depends who you are with. I just got a vibrant (A.K.A. Galaxy S) and it seems to have some pretty damn loud audio on it compared to most cell phones I have had since I got my first one. The only other one I had that was this loud was the nokia 5300.

I have not tested it hooked up to my cheap amp yet or my klipsch computer speakers. I will test it out later this weekend when I have more time and let you know the results.

3. tyrellmf

tyrellmf New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, that'd be great.

By the way, I'm with Telstra using the A8183 Desire. Any replacement phone would have to support 3G 850 mHz as well. The Galaxy S is launching on Next G in the next month or so.

tigga8301 likes this.
  4. CptGemini

CptGemini Well-Known Member

Since it has HD 720p video recording I will get a clip as well, or at least try to, I am unsure if any music will stay playing in the background other than my XM online radio app which I will probably end up using.

EDIT: something else I forgot to mention is that it has some sound effect settings in the music player, they are as follows: Normal, wide, Concert Hall, Music Clarity, Bass Enhancement, & Externalization. Its late here and people are sleeping so I will have to wait till tomorrow evening when I have more time to test it out for ya. Just also found out it won't play music with the video recorder running, I still have my G1 so I can record with that but the video/audio quality on it is not as good but it will give you a general idea of what you are looking for. Right now I am listening to some jams with my Turtle Beach Earforce X1 headphones on and it sounds great, I am using the bass enhancement setting on it and it sounds great thus far so I am pretty sure it will sound great on my THX Certified Klipsch speakers.

5. heybk

heybk Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree with the Vibrant being really loud, much louder then my current htc G2