Android Preferred Order of Wifi networks

Last Updated:

1. The Beard

The Beard New Member This Topic's Starter

On Windows, I can set an order of preferred networks. I can't seem to do that on my HTC Desire.

I have BT home broadband, and it is also configured to provide BT Openzone. This gives me free access to Openzone when I am away from home. At home I want to connect to my own network and not Openzone, when I am elsewhere I want to be able to use Openzone if it is available. The order of precedence on windows means that my PC automatically connects to my home network. I often have to manually choose the network at home.

Does anyone who how to do this? Is there an app for this?

Advertisement
  2. me too

me too Member

It's at times like this that I'm glad of my forum name. Yup, me too.
    I wouldn't mind if all my existing apps worked when the phone connects to Openzone, but some, Weatherbug for example, refuse to connect. Have you found the same?

It's easy & quick enough to fix via Settings, Wireless & networks, Wi-Fi settings, but it is now starting to irritate me. I haven't given it a serious looking at yet, just had a bit of a thrash around in settings.

I'll watch this thread with interest and update if I find anything myself.

3. wib

wib Member

Hi

I have exactly the same issue, BT Home Hub, my own secured wi-fi network and also BT FON and B Openzone which are open

The whole benefit of going down the BT route was that I can get free wi-fi access through FON and Openzone, but it seems that Android prefers open wi-fi rather than secured connections

If I disable my BT FON on my home hub, this will sort the problem at home, but equally I then lose my FON and Openzone access when out and about

Logically, most people would want to connect to a secure wi-fi connection, where possible, and where the security key was already available and open connections if no other was present, this I think would sort the situation, I just can't believe that Android doesn't support such functionality or that there's no such app available to force this

4. wilmer000

wilmer000 Member

Similar prob. When weak sky network at home drops off, phone connects to bt next door . I have mo access, so am effectively cut off. Every time i have to say 'forget' bt network, and repeat. Can i exclude certain networks?

5. adskankster

adskankster Well-Known Member

Wifi Manager on Market may fix some of there issues - there's a free version and a "pro" version, so you can test it first.

Also, it may be fixable using Tasker which has a 7 day trial here Tasker for Android

That one may be a bit more involved though, so unless you want to use the other features, you should probably try manager first.

Finally Wifi Fixer may solve some general connection problems and is worth a try for anyone having wireless issues.

6. wilmer000

wilmer000 Member

Cracked it. WrecX free in market allows you to set a preferred AP, and either allow or exclude OPEN AP should you lose signal.

Re:tasker, basically a full phone API with undocumented GUI. Complex, requires *full* permissions (not my bag!), costs 4GB

ml66uk likes this.
  7. ml66uk

ml66uk New Member