• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android questions...

alank2

Lurker
Oct 3, 2012
Hi,

I've been needing to get into Android developer for my boss and I've got the development environment setup so far.

I didn't have an actual development device however until my wife found me a virgin mobile LG optimus slider for $54 on clearance at Target yesterday. I want to use this device as a development device where I can run applications from my PC and have a few questions:

#1 - I don't want to sign up with virgin mobile for the phone part of it - will this limit what I can do on the phone? Will it connect via wifi or something to a wireless network?

#2 - Will this work for my purposes, just developing/running/testing code?

#3 - Will I need to root it?

Thanks,

Alan

Welcome alank2, to the AF community :)

#1 You will not be able to make phone calls, as your phone will not have a phone number., you will most definitely be able to connect to wifi and such.

#2 From my knowledge of setting up a phone for dev use, which isn't very much, but I am pretty positive you could use it for Dev work.

#3 You might want to root just to have it rooted, I am not positive on this though.

Again welcome to the forums, if you have any more questions feel free to ask :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones