• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android rant

thequeenscheese

Android Expert
Nov 8, 2010
this was my reply in another thread but I thought I'd post it as a rant also.

I agree just check the samsung apps photo editor its so good on the tiny screen of the s3 and partly the reason I wanted a tab but on here its about 4builds behind so many missing features, and sky go is another at the minute I feel let down by Samsung and android at least with Apple everything works and communicates properly, I love droid and will always plump for it but I'm tired and annoyed by the lack of good support and the ridiculous speed we see a new os then take too long to get it right usually just in time for the next instalment of droid, and take the tab now I've got 3 or 4 browsers I use (usually dolphin), with dolphin Web pages don't work as they should, if you switch to ipad user agent in Google there are cool image viewing features as it imitates safari but there on the actual Google page not the browser. so the competition gets better Google than Googles own brand.? I wtf, and and you try to access an ea forum/origin account from dolphin or a forum link from an email you get bounced all over the shop the same link in opera it tells me im banned when im not, and as for the Android user agents well their pants, all you get then is some rubbish mobile version of a web site that tries to charge you or doesn't give you what you want why can't we just view it as if we're on a pc (I know desktop mode exists),,, and theirs simply too much crap on the markets fine I know it's open source but why can't we have another market that imitates apples where designers pay to put stuff on there but it has to work and be approved?

and top it off as I wrote this the tab randomly restarted itself with 52% battery

rant over

I do have a few good ones snapseed, pixlr etc but why can't I have the features in the same apps on separate devices its silly they both should be capable and are by Samsung as is the app in their app store, and there's so much different hardware its becoming get tedious and like hard work to get anything to run smoothly

Upvote 0
another prime example on my s3 I have metro Radio installed for night owls so why as it's a simple radio app can i not install it on a tab2 10.1?

I'm fed up and feel let down with the tab 2s lack of compatability and features other lesser devices have.

https://play.google.com/store/searc...d=com.grppl.android.shell.CMBbr09metro&rdot=1

I'm getting pretty peed off with this I can hear apple beckoning droid are shooting themselves in the foot its quickly becoming 4th in a 3 horse race...

Upvote 0
another prime example on my s3 I have metro Radio installed for night owls so why as it's a simple radio app can i not install it on a tab2 10.1?

I'm fed up and feel let down with the tab 2s lack of compatability and features other lesser devices have.

https://play.google.com/store/searc...d=com.grppl.android.shell.CMBbr09metro&rdot=1

I'm getting pretty peed off with this I can hear apple beckoning droid are shooting themselves in the foot its quickly becoming 4th in a 3 horse race...

Isn't Droid

Upvote 0
this was my reply in another thread but I thought I'd post it as a rant also.

I agree just check the samsung apps photo editor its so good on the tiny screen of the s3 and partly the reason I wanted a tab but on here its about 4builds behind so many missing features, and sky go is another at the minute I feel let down by Samsung and android at least with Apple everything works and communicates properly I love droid and will always plump for it but I'm tired and annoyed by the lack of good support and the ridiculous speed we see a new os then destroy take too long to get it right usually just in time for the next instalment of droid, and take the tab now I've got 3 or 4 browser I use (usually dolphin), with dolphins Web pages don't work as they should, if you switch to ipad user agent in Google there are cool image viewing features as it imitates safari but there on the actual Google page not the browser. so the competition gets better Google than Google own brand.? I wtf, and and you try not access an early forum/origin account from dolphin and a forum link from an email you get bounced all over the shop the same link in opera it tells me im banned when im not, and as for the Android user agents well their pants all you get then is some rubbish mobile version of a web site that tries to charge your order doesn't give you what you want why can't we just view it as if we're on a pc (I know desktop mode exists),,, and theirs simply too much capacity on the markets fine I know it's open source but why can't we have another market that imitates apples where design pay to put stuff on there but it has to work and be approved?

Some of that could be specific to Samsung's version of Android. You might want to look at getting a Nexus device, that's pure Android as Google intended. And it will always receive prompt updates, unlike Samsung.

Android is open, manufacturers can do whatever they like to it, and make it work in their own particular ways. That's why I suggest you try a Google Nexus device. iOS on the other hand, only Apple makes iOS devices, so iPhones and iPads all work very much the same way.

and top it off as I wrote this the tab randomly restarted itself with 52% battery

Did it only restart the once or is it repeatedly doing it? If it's repeatedly restarting for no apparent reason it may well be faulty, in which case it would be best to get an RMA, and return it for replacement or refund.

Upvote 0
restarted just the once, the radio station is a local UK 1, but that's no excuse to not be usable by all devices take absolute 80s that works perfect I can even turn my screen off and do other tasks I personally think it's time to regulate the markets a bit and force design to get their apps working on a specific percentage of devices, if something is available on an s3 it should be available on samsungs full range and other equivalent devices, we shouldn't have to buy another device so stuff works we need a certain amount of standardization bringing in there's far too much different hardware that despite don't keep up on supporting, you generally don't get this with a pc and the hardware combinations are endless with them but 99% of programme run on 99% of pc's.....
I shouldnt be able to spend

Upvote 0
Well, the Tab 2 isn't exactly a premium device like your S3, it's sort of their cheap end slate. The Note 10.1 and the upcoming Note 8.0 are the ones you want to have SIII level capabilities.

either way it no slouch or bargin basement model either fine I can accept phones being more of an issue at the end of the day they are phones for phoning and testing everything else is extras, but a tablet is for doing stuff and surfing and in my experience the mid range tablets and android just can't deliver a pc beating experience, it needs some standardization and devs to have to guarantee a % of devices their product works on and it will never overthrow apple until it does so.

Upvote 0
either way it no slouch or bargin basement model either fine I can accept phones being more of an issue at the end of the day they are phones for phoning and testing everything else is extras, but a tablet is for doing stuff and surfing and in my experience the mid range tablets and android just can't deliver a pc beating experience, it needs some standardization and devs to have to guarantee a % of devices their product works on and it will never overthrow apple until it does so.

No tablet in existence has a PC beating experience, whether iOS or Android. The closest you can get is a Windows 8 Pro tablet (not RT). Also, if you want to have a nice Google experience on your Browser, use Google Chrome.

Also, your phone (S3) is much more powerful than the Tab 2. In fact, the 2 year old Tab 7 Plus and Tab 7.7 are more powerful in than all Tab 2 variants.

Upvote 0
No tablet in existence has a PC beating experience, whether iOS or Android. The closest you can get is a Windows 8 Pro tablet (not RT). Also, if you want to have a nice Google experience on your Browser, use Google Chrome.

Also, your phone (S3) is much more powerful than the Tab 2. In fact, the 2 year old Tab 7 Plus and Tab 7.7 are more powerful in than all Tab 2 variants.

Google Chrome doesn't always work either I'm sorry but I can't disagree more, tablets are for surfing the Web thus there shouldn't be so many floors in the process flash being a prime example maybe it's old and dusted but it's simply still in use too much at this present time for it to be ditched on android, and i don't expect the tablet to be a pc beater but I do expect an equal Web viewing experience without being flooded with failures / adds/ and forced mobile versions of Web pages and simply there are apps that should run fine or have the latest version available on all platforms that don't the evidence speaks for itself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones