• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android RC30 Updates Your G1

phandroid

Admin News Bot
Apr 12, 2008
In the very early morning, it appears AndroidForum members first reported their G1’s being updated with the newest Android Over-The-Air update. It patches the apparent “jailbreaking” bypass that the current OS allows which allowed l33t h4×0rz to tap directly into the Android OS at the root level. While it took most folks a long and varied [...]

More...

Yeah. F'n annoying. Why do they need to keep us from having root on an open platform?

I can see "not wanting remote exploits" being a reason to close this hole, but that would be entirely different language than they're giving. And, if it was just for remote exploits, they'd find some way to let the device owner retain that access to the device.

Upvote 0
Because having root access means that other people aside from yourself can also gain root access to the data and files on your G1.

I just got back from a friend's place where I showed him the link of how the G1 could be jailbroken and he proved this to me by letting me hook up on his wireless network, sniffing out some data (which he refused to reveal) and then showing me the files on my phone over Telnet. And downloaded a couple of my MP3s and pictures just to prove to me that it could be done by SOMEONE ELSE.

It wasn't funny.

Upvote 0
Appently, getting root access (pre RC30) was not all that hard. In fact it was a bit like Dorthy in Oz. You had it all the time......

"ZDNet reports on an Android bug in T-Mobile G1s with early versions of the firmware: 'When the phone booted it started up a command shell as root and sent every keystroke you ever typed on the keyboard from then on to that shell. Thus every word you typed, in addition to going to the foreground application would be silently and invisibly interpreted as a command and executed with superuser privileges. ... open the keyboard tray on your G1, ignore anything you see on the screen, and type these 8 keystrokes: (enter)-r-e-b-o-o-t-(enter). Poof, your phone will reboot.'"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones