Android Ringtones

Last Updated:

1. Rob

Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you! Administrator This Topic's Starter

How will Android change the ringtone market?

It'll be pretty easy to put/store music/mp3 on your phone with an Android device I'm guessing. And, I would imagine it would be quite simple to set this sound as your ringtone.

Not to mention... you could set various sounds to various events such as an alarm clock tone, a tone when you press a button, a tone when people call you, etc...

Do you think this will CRUSH the ringtone marketers who are making tons of money at the moment selling tones on these closed devices?

Advertisement
  2. fbarkon

fbarkon Member

I hope someone invented an app that will revolutionize ringtones as we know it. I like OPEN. You know those 4 unknown apps? I've been fantasizing about them...:D

Mexjoker likes this.
  3. xeorene

xeorene Member

I dont like the concept of Ringtones. I find it annoying. Ive got a nokia E51 and i just use the basic tone.

4. dballz

dballz Well-Known Member

I'm a DJ and I was making ring tones before MP3 just using midi, then wav, now mp3's. The market for ringtones is dead. I mean most of the PC and or MAC generation knows how to download music for free, download editing software via torrents, and it doesn't take a mental giant to learn how to chop a 3-4 minute song down to 20-30secs fade it out so it sounds good.

5. sleebus.jones

sleebus.jones Well-Known Member

One can only hope. Charging $1.99 or more for ringtones is borderline criminal, especially when you can grab the whole song for $0.89 from Amazon. My biggest problem with the ringtone market is the complete lack of alert tones...like for email, SMS, etc. I've had Homestar Runner's "eeeeeMail" alert on my phone for years, coolest thing ever, but you'll never see that in any market. I now have HAL from 2001 "there's a message for you" again, not really one that you'd see, but darn neat to have. Always gets a good response at work, haha.

6. freedomflyer

freedomflyer Well-Known Member

I agree with sleebus, it's disgusting to charge $2 for something that you really only hear a couple times a day. I know for my personal usage I can never seem to find a reason to consistently turn my ringer on. Meetings, classes, even with friends and family, it's either just not socially acceptable or more of a "novelty annoyance" than anything. But to each his own, I guess.
    Android and the G1 present something interesting, however, because it pairs a device that can really hold file content (mp3s, videos, text files, pdfs, etc...) and ACCESS it with a software system that allows for custom, free, ringtones. This should make an application such as a "pre-done, free, ringtone downloader" to exist.

7. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

I agree with dballz, it's way way too easy and cheap to make your own ringtones. Right now you can download all sorts of free mp3s of sound effects and movie lines. I've been doing my own ringtones since my nokia days. Pretty much if you can hook it up to your computer, you can have your own, free ringtones.

8. kb2002

kb2002 New Member

I didn't know custom ringtones was such an advance topic?
    The G1 is my THIRD HTC handset and I've always used MP3 ringtones.
    You mean... you people have been actually PAYING your hard earned money for a ringtone you could have just copied and pasted to your phones? Yikes.
    2008?? Or did my Delorean just take me back to 1998? :eek:

9. drustvold

drustvold Well-Known Member

I hacked my old Moto e815 3 years ago to enable file transfer and to use whatever i wanted for ringtones... ...before the number transfered to the phone. :rolleyes:

10. jasko

jasko Member

Ringdroid is already on the market. It allows you to take an MP3 and pick a portion of it to play as your ringtone.

Steps:
    1. add mp3 to your music folder from a computer
    2. anytime it asks you what program you'd like to use for choosing a ring tone, pick ringdroid. (ie in the settings > sound&display > Phone Ringtone ... but you can also use it for the Alarm Clock app and many others)
    3. world domination!

11. Quirk

Quirk Active Member

Ringdroid sounds like a nifty tool. I will have to check that out soon!

12. iringtone

iringtone New Member

Hi Rob,
    You can use IRingtones Christmas to manager ringtones too, easy than manual and a lot of beauty ringtones, you can see detail under my post.

Hope it help

iRingtones - Christmas

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Download:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mobitourist.iringtone
    [​IMG]