Android Rookie-contemplating PurchaseSupport

Last Updated:

1. geechee

geechee New Member

I am thinking about buying a Toshiba Thrive and have some questions.
    1. How do you move a movie from DVD to the device or to a thumbdrive or other removable media so I can watch it while in flight.
    2. Are there any voice applications for a non-3g/4g device?
    3. Compare and contrast-Thrive vs. Ipad
    4. Can I move my music from Itunes to the Thrive?

I currently use a blackberry (corporate), a Dell laptop, a Mac Mini, an Ipad (we have both origianl and Ipad 2). I use Tetherberry to connect the Dell to the web for email, etc. and want a tether tool for the Thrive as well should i buy it.

Any other advice is appreciated. I purchased a Bberry Playbook (dont drink in the airport and make IT decisions) which I returned within two weeks. I don't want to do this again.

2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Welcome to the Android Forums!

In a nutshell you can watch movies on the Thrive. I do similarly on my Motorola Xoom. Just convert the movie file to an appropriate forum (I use MP4) and copy to the SD card for storage.

In terms of moving music form iTunes to the tablet, yes it's possible but you'll likely need to use a third party application. I use an app called iSyncr.

About JRT Studio | JRT Studio

Moving your thread to the Toshiba Thrive forum...

Toshiba Thrive - Android Forums
    bandiwolf likes this.
  3. Geekslayer

Geekslayer Member

Android will all play all "unprotected" (Non DRM) itunes music files, and you'll have to convert your DVD's to MP4 format. DVD Catalyst software will help you do that, it's easy, it's cheap, and it's good quality.
  4. bandiwolf

bandiwolf New Member

I have transferred a couple of my instructional videos to my thumb drive as MP4 and they work fine, no chapters but thats ok. I tried to copy my movie (Return to Snowy RIver) the same way and the thrive will not play it. I would like to copy a few of my movies to my passport harddrive to take with on vacation. How do I do this? do I need special software or player?