• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Root Mod/Tweak Question

Not that I'm aware of but check out "VLC for Android beta"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.videolan.vlc.betav7neon

Does pretty much everything, can play up to 4x speed.

Great player, root not required.

There are a number of ways to play video - the surface vs opengl, hardware vs software decoding - I don't see how this could be a system tweak without breaking most media players.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. I am determined to figure out a way to do this. You see, I generally use apple devices, and there is indeed a tweak that can speed up all videos played on the device. I enjoy this ability because I can absorb information at a faster rate when I encounter videos that have a slow paced talking speed etc. Speeding it up saves my time. I want to switch to Android because I am realizing that Apple is overpriced. Any suggestion for a cheap, decent droid that I can begin experimenting with on with the OS code to see if I can accomplish my goal?

Upvote 0
I see.

You want to find out for yourself that Android graphics are not handled only the same way as iOS graphics and neither necessarily is video.

Fair enough.

You'll find a lot at developer.android.com and source.android.com

As far as learning on a cheap device, you're probably better off starting with the emulator on a pc.

From there you can look into software vs hardware decoding and neon support.

At that point, to save money on an entry device with enough processing power to represent the threshold for more advanced device capabilities, I'd recommend one of entry Motorolas, the Moto G or E.

While working on your project, you still might want to check out VLC. It's very likely going to do most all of what you want.

Unlike iOS, Android is not one thing with rigid rules and most of what you need to root tweak iOS for - when possible - is usually accomplished with a non-root app, including the entire ui/ux.

Best luck with your goal, it sounds very interesting!

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones