• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Security

Chocca

Lurker
Mar 18, 2011
Hey All!

New to the Android world, just picked up a Atrix last night. Its a sick whip for sure.

Wondering if there are any Security Apps that I should have for my Android phone? I read an article some time ago that you should have some due to the ability to spoof Apps.

Anyone here knows of a good one to use? And if I should use a AV as well?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chocca

AV is not all that important. Better to learn some best practices. If you want to use AV after understanding how to keep yourself safe, that's up to you.

But whoever is writing the blogs telling users they should run out and get AV for Android is just trying to get pageviews and they don't know what they are talking about most of the time.

Start here:

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...ps-avoid-viruses-guide-those-new-android.html

And feel free to read other online guides about keeping your data and phone safe.

I say this because I firmly believe that most AV software offers a mere appearnce of security.

aka: Security theater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0
Short answer: No you don't need to worry about it.

Just don't download apps that you don't get from the market (and have at least 1000 downloads and good reviews) or a trusted site (like here and XDA). There are still very few viruses or bad apps. I am guessing soon it will be more important but right now it isn't. I do all my banking, and have other secure information on my phone and have for a couple years. I have no security or anti virus software and have never had a problem by only downloading trusted apps from trusted sources.

BTW, I have a ghetto friend that calls cars whips, is that also a ghetto word for a phone now? Just trying to keep up so I can translate to English when needed

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones