• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android set top box

ohzopants

Sep 16, 2008
The talk about android home "hubs" got me thinking: android could be used to make a pretty slick cable/satellite set top box and/or PVR (android phone as a remote control would be a given at that point:D).

Motorola already makes set top boxes for both types of service and they're on board with android.

Am I dreaming? Or is this something that could someday happen?

The two things I've been waiting for are:

1) desktop appliances (think "Android Alarm Clock" and/or internet radio)

2) set top boxes

I'd love to see an Android based PVR. Both with a Android handset as remote control AND one where I can transfer my shows to my Android devices (not just my G1, but maybe the new Creative Egg, or the Movit Mini or Movit Maxx).

And then if it could work as a viewer for streamed video like netflix, hulu, youtube, and other services ... and maybe an Amazon MPEG video store (like the Amazon MP3 music store) for buying copies of movies/shows.

That would be amazingly great.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones