• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android SGS3 full wired backup Mac no-root

dejswa

Lurker
Oct 6, 2012
Sorry for possible repetition of prior threads, but what I can find is about a year old.

I have Samsung Galaxy S3 x 1 mo now and Apple computers for backup and. I want to create an image so that I can back up everything from my phone in the event of an EMP attack or perhaps simply loss of my phone.

Of course, Google backs up some things, but then there are photos and app data and downloaded apps.

Sounds simple, right? Perhaps the first and most basic thing someone would want to do with their phone.

Then why is it next to impossible to do? I have spent most of my spare time this week looking at different apps, syncs, cloud file systems, etc but there is nothing simple about doing this. I am trying to like the Android after a switch from the competition, but this and a few other things like rendom-battery-discharge-in-two-hours mode are trying my patience. But let's just discuss backup. This is what I want to do:

Wired backup of image of phone apps, data and settings from my SGS3 4.0.4 phone to a mac computer to allow a practically identical restore to a new phone plus access to photos and video on the backup computer.

For the moment, let's exclude:
wireless backup - too slow / flaky (Kies and other)
cloud backup - way too slow (dropbox, googlesync)
backup to a PC - don't tell me I need a PC to do this although I do have a virtual one on my mac
no root - considering I would want to backup before rooting, that would be a bad choice. Although I would consider if I know it is safe on my device. (Jailbreaking on my Iphone lead to more problems than benefits)

The one wired solution I can find (and tried once and it worked) is now broken with AT&T's obligatory download of software ver 4.0.4. Android File Transfer no longer works and I haven't seen a solution for this. I think this was the answer but now surprisingly it is broken with no solution.

The Kies app starts up and looks good, but is really flaky and gives no indication of progress when 'downloading' and you eventually go away and find that there was some sort of network error.

Mybackup seems promising but it is only for cloud backup or SD backup, which as it turns out, it cannot find the true external SD card even though it says it is backing up to /mnt/sdcard/external_sd . . . it really is backing up to the so-called internal 'sd card'. When I pull out the SD card, it still gives the same path and backs up to the internal hardware RAM. Crazy.

Ideas? Ti backup with root seems to be popular and gets good reviews, but I hate to think the first thing I have to do is root my phone in order to download photos. Basically I would like to make my phone look like a wired external drive on my mac but there appears to be no simple solution for this.

Thanks for reading,

DJ

Sorry for possible repetition of prior threads, but what I can find is about a year old.

I have Samsung Galaxy S3 x 1 mo now and Apple computers for backup and. I want to create an image so that I can back up everything from my phone in the event of an EMP attack or perhaps simply loss of my phone.

If you want to protect your data from EMP you had better store it on the moon...

Of course, Google backs up some things, but then there are photos and app data and downloaded apps.

Sounds simple, right? Perhaps the first and most basic thing someone would want to do with their phone.

Then why is it next to impossible to do? I have spent most of my spare time this week looking at different apps, syncs, cloud file systems, etc but there is nothing simple about doing this. I am trying to like the Android after a switch from the competition, but this and a few other things like rendom-battery-discharge-in-two-hours mode are trying my patience. But let's just discuss backup. This is what I want to do:

Wired backup of image of phone apps, data and settings from my SGS3 4.0.4 phone to a mac computer to allow a practically identical restore to a new phone plus access to photos and video on the backup computer.

For the moment, let's exclude:
wireless backup - too slow / flaky (Kies and other)
cloud backup - way too slow (dropbox, googlesync)
backup to a PC - don't tell me I need a PC to do this although I do have a virtual one on my mac
no root - considering I would want to backup before rooting, that would be a bad choice. Although I would consider if I know it is safe on my device. (Jailbreaking on my Iphone lead to more problems than benefits)

The one wired solution I can find (and tried once and it worked) is now broken with AT&T's obligatory download of software ver 4.0.4. Android File Transfer no longer works and I haven't seen a solution for this. I think this was the answer but now surprisingly it is broken with no solution.

The Kies app starts up and looks good, but is really flaky and gives no indication of progress when 'downloading' and you eventually go away and find that there was some sort of network error.

Mybackup seems promising but it is only for cloud backup or SD backup, which as it turns out, it cannot find the true external SD card even though it says it is backing up to /mnt/sdcard/external_sd . . . it really is backing up to the so-called internal 'sd card'. When I pull out the SD card, it still gives the same path and backs up to the internal hardware RAM. Crazy.

Ideas? Ti backup with root seems to be popular and gets good reviews, but I hate to think the first thing I have to do is root my phone in order to download photos. Basically I would like to make my phone look like a wired external drive on my mac but there appears to be no simple solution for this.

It's dead simple, desjwa: goto Settings > More... > USB utilities and follow instructions.

I apply 'Backup Everything' once a week, and manually dump (drag & drop) the entire contents of my SD card to my Mac's harddisk once a month (and trash the previous data dump).

Of course my Macs have their own iron backup regime – including off-site backup copies – via OSX' Time Machine.

No root required.

Upvote 0
Ceverol,

Thank you for the reply! I don't seem to find exactly what you are referring to. Here is my settings menu (from the settings app that came with the phone) with some submenus and some comments: formatting didn't show on the screen so I am using brackets to designate submenus.

Settings
{
WiFi
Bluetooth
Data usage
More settings
{
Airplane mode
Mobile networks
Portable WiFi
USB Tethering (grayed out - doesn't change when I connect to computer)
NFC
Android Beam
S Beam
WiFi Direct
AllShare Cast
VPN
Kies via WiFi
Nearby Devices (DLNA)
}
Sound
Display
Wallpaper
Led indicator
Motion
Power saving
Storage
Battery
App manger

Accounts and sync (has email accounts and sync options for them)
Location services
Security and lock screen
Language and input
Backup and reset
Back up my data (enables backup some data to Google servers)
{
Back up account
Automatic restore

Factory data reset
}

Accessory
Date and time
Accessibility
Developer options
About device
}

Any ideas here?

DJ

Upvote 0
Ceverol,

Thank you for the reply! I don't seem to find exactly what you are referring to. Here is my settings menu (from the settings app that came with the phone) with some submenus and some comments: formatting didn't show on the screen so I am using brackets to designate submenus.

Settings
{
WiFi
Bluetooth
Data usage
More settings
{
Airplane mode
Mobile networks
Portable WiFi
NFC
Android Beam
S Beam
WiFi Direct
AllShare Cast
VPN
Kies via WiFi
Nearby Devices (DLNA)
}
Sound
Display
Wallpaper
Led indicator
Motion
Power saving
Storage
Battery
App manger

Location services
Security and lock screen
Language and input
Backup and reset
{
Back up account
Automatic restore

Factory data reset
}

Accessory
Date and time
Accessibility
Developer options
About device
}

Any ideas here?

DJ

Hmm. That's confusing.
What version of Android are you running?
And on what phone?

Upvote 0
Ceverol,

Settings
{
WiFi
Bluetooth
Data usage
More settings
{
Airplane mode
Mobile networks
Portable WiFi
NFC
Android Beam
S Beam
WiFi Direct
AllShare Cast
VPN
Kies via WiFi
Nearby Devices (DLNA)
}
Sound
Display
Wallpaper
Led indicator
Motion
Power saving
Storage
Battery
App manger

Location services
Security and lock screen
Language and input
Backup and reset
{
Back up account
Automatic restore

Factory data reset
}

Accessory
Date and time
Accessibility
Developer options
About device
}

Any ideas here?

DJ

Hmm. That's confusing.
What version of Android are you running?

Upvote 0
Here is what I get with 'about device' under 'settings':

8064270121_124b474da0_z.jpg

Does give you the info?
I think I have the newest Android OS.

DJ

Upvote 0
You can't make a full backup including all app data without root because you won't have the admin access to enter system storage on the phone. A PC can't even detect that storage without using specialized software, and Android won't let you touch it without root. Even if you get an image of the internal mass storage, it still isn't a complete backup like what you are looking for.

Upvote 0
For now, I'd settle for backing up everything else, photos and a couple of google play store apps/data that have data I'd rather not lose like a password saver and a memo / business expense app.

BTW, not to hijack my own thread, but is there a short answer to whether it is safe/stable to root this device, a new SGS3?

Regards,

DJ

Upvote 0
Here is what I get with 'about device' under 'settings':

8064270121_124b474da0_z.jpg

Does give you the info?
I think I have the newest Android OS.

That is Android 4.0.4. Shouldn't be much different from my 4.0.3.
(BTW, 4.1.1 is the latest).

This is what you should see:

Image618233525.png
Image477791646.png
Image531642734.png

And like I said, I apply 'Backup Everything' once a week, and manually dump (drag & drop) the entire contents of my SD card to my Mac's harddisk once a month (and trash the previous data dump).

No root required.

Upvote 0
Thanks Ceverol. My 'USB utilities' item is just missing. I was on the phone for a bit with an ATT rep who suggested plugging USB cable in first (didn't help) then turning on USB developer options - - > USB debugging (didn't help).

I'll go by the store where I got it and check with another rep who might know more.

Cheers . . .

Upvote 0
Very strange! :thinking:

Unless that bit, USB utilities, is actually part of the phone manufacturer's skin, and not part of Android proper. But that would go against all I (thought I) knew sofar of Android...

So please let us know what you find out.

Good luck! :smokingsomb:

BTW, you do know there are more ways to transfer files from a phone to a PC or Mac, don't you?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones