Android signal weaker than other phones?

Last Updated:

1. ptknshi

ptknshi New Member This Topic's Starter

I just got the Captivate this weekend and I'm noticing at my house i am getting poor signal strength. It runs anywhere from around -100 to no service what so ever. I have been on AT&T for years and have had no trouble with my blackberry that gets around -75 to -80.

I bought the nexus one and had the same issue with that phone so i sent it back thinking it was a hardware issue.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Surfer

Surfer Well-Known Member

Well I have had this problem too but I noticed that it doesn't affect call quality. I have had 1 bar and everything sounds great! I don't have 3g in some spots in my house but I just use WiFi!

3. ardyer

ardyer Well-Known Member

Are you holding it correctly?

On a serious note, mine gets worse signal strength than the guy I share my office with (who has a black berry) but much better than I got with my old Samsung on TMobile. Plus, it doesn't affect my call quality either, so I'm not to concerned.

4. ptknshi

Thanks for the reply im glad that im not alone....I did have an issue where i couldn't send text messages until I moved to another area and ive never had that happen with the blackberry before. Im going to give AT&T a call tonight and see what they have to say on the matter.

5. sinoth

sinoth New Member

I haven't been checking the actual signal strength, but as far as bars go I'm constantly at around 1-3, where my Blackjack was almost always full. I haven't talked on the phone enough to judge whether it affects call quality.

Here is a theory -- is it possible that Android reports more of a 'true' signal strength than our other phones, at least as far as bars are concerned? Or do you think it is actually an antenna/hardware issue?

6. simulator

simulator Well-Known Member

I seem to be getting reception regularly when it shows 0 bars. Conversely, where I normally show three bars it shows five bars. ITs the Steve Jobs effect, man.

7. ptknshi

I love how all signal/antenna issues are now burns at Stevie and Apple.....

8. Surfer

Surfer Well-Known Member

Haven't thought about that but I wouldn't be surprised. My reception is exactly the same when I call with 2 phones with a different amount of bars. I call with my G1 with 5 bars (on AT&T) and the Captivate with 2-3 bars, actually I think the Captivate sounds clearer and the person I talk to says I sound the same on each line. So I am pretty sure that the bars are the 'true' signal.

9. ptknshi

Is the G1 running 2.1? If so i guess that rules out my Android OS theory....

10. Surfer

Surfer Well-Known Member

Hm I don't think it is 2.1. I think it may be 1.5

11. propwner

propwner Member

When I purchased my Captivate I noticed the low signal strength. My iPhone 3G had full signals at my work while my Captivate stays around 3 to 4 bars. I have made and received calls and it sounds a lot better than my iPhone 3g. The low signal strength doesn't alarm me enough to return it and go back to the iPhone.

12. ghostfox1

ghostfox1 Well-Known Member

I have the same signal that I've always had, 1-3 bars depending on where I am in my house. However, the quality is better, so...yeah.

13. Gardenpapaya

Gardenpapaya Member

I notice it too , its not terrible , but my iPhone had full bars most of the time and my captivate is usually down 1 or 2 . havent talked on it enough to know if has affected call / signal quality yet...

14. sonicanatidae

sonicanatidae Well-Known Member

Had they admitted it up front instead of pointing to "magical software fairies" and pretty much anything under the sun except the fact that if they had coated the antenna in a non-conductive coating, the problem would have
    been almost non-existent.

Then, to resolve the "non-existent" problem, "that every other phone has", they offer free rubber bumpers. Again, to address a problem that, according to SJ doesnt actually exist.

bah.. glad to be rid of this company frankly.

GO ANDROID!!!!

15. Blackforge

Blackforge Well-Known Member

Did it have full bars post-4.0.1 update? Mine has been running equivalent or a little better than 4.0.1 was on my 3GS. The meter on the Captivate does seem to update quite a bit more though, so I think that might be one factor involved with all of this.

16. voogru

voogru Active Member

Remember Apple said they were showing 2 more bars then normal...

17. Gardenpapaya

Gardenpapaya Member

I pretty much always had full bars , on a 3G & 3GS . Never went 4.01 . stayed at jailbroken 3.13

18. keplenk

keplenk Member

Hmmm .. I beg to differ. I went to 3 AT&T stores today and tried the Live Demo units of the Captivate. The first thing I noticed is that the Samsung Captivate (without touching them) has 3 bars while ALL of the other phones (yes, including Smartphones) inside the store are having FULL bars. One of the phones was an Aria, so I don't think Android reports 'true signal'. BTW, when I pick up the Captivate, no gripping - no special hold, the signal drops to 1. :(

I know signal bars are nonsense but it is kinda bothering to see, IMHO.

edit: It is either Android reports true signal or the Captivate has signal issues -- or maybe Aria Reports the wrong signal .. or something like that .. you get my point :D