android skinningSupport

Last Updated:

1. sourceexposure

sourceexposure New Member This Topic's Starter

ok so i got the samsung captivate from at&t today and the one thing that annoyed me is that the os has been skinned, further reading revealed there is no update to version 2.2 for that phone while there is for others and that got me thinking if all the phones are android based that means the essential kernel of the android phones must be the same.

the same concept for linux, you got different flavors while some more closer than others, such as ubuntu and debian. None the less same kernel.

So is there a way to force 2.2 onto the samsung phone, bypass at&t's lackluster skinned version of android and run it?

i am not sure, this is just a theory i had and i am new to the whole android firmware, i switched from the iPhone 4 cause it was closed source.

Advertisement
  2. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

are you referring skinned as in modding? If so use launcher pro. Your can customize however u want. As for 2.2. Europe gets it at the end of the month.....U.S. Should follow weeks after that. I also heard it depends on carriers.

3. sourceexposure

that's the whole thing that i don't get why are the carriers allowed to make that determination? as far as i understand you can download the source code of android and thus make any changes needed. you just need to make your own android build and port it into phone.

am i understanding the functions of android correctly? as far as i know it isn't locked into only the carriers.

4. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Open source so u can

5. sourceexposure

ok then if i download the source code i can compile it onto the samsung captivate then and overwrite the skinned at&t version right?

the question is to get newer versions onto the phones faster so having a universal android version that can bypass the skinning?