• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android spyware

Wondering how you can tell if someone has put spyware on your phone.

Do you mean like physically? I don't know why you would allow someone you don't trust access to your phone, if you mean through apps as far as I know all market apps are safe, 3rd party im sure some are infected check the Android Market for a virus/spyware protecter... can I ask what is going on that is making you think this?

Upvote 0
Wondering how you can tell if someone has put spyware on your phone.

Stormmy,

Welcome to the AndroidForums! Glad you signed-up :).

You can look through your app drawer and examine the various apps. If you don't know what each app is, you can do a search in the Market or via Google to find-out what each app is/does.

There actually is no vetting of apps that are put in the Android Market, other than what people put in the app's comment section and report when an app is un-installed. You could write an app that does pretty-much anything before it might be noticed as malicious and pulled by Google (which they can do and have done before for "bad" apps).

I can also tell you that the Amazon App Store does a lot of vetting of their apps. I have two apps that I've published to the Amazon App Store and it takes a while for them to test and approve each version that I publish, so in my opinion, its a much safer area to acquire apps from.

Anyway, welcome and I hope that helps a little.

Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones