Android - startActivityForResult outside an Activity?

Last Updated: 2011-09-30 12:33:35
  1. kkudi

kkudi Well-Known Member

Hi

I have a wrapper class (BluetoothDiscoverer) which is instantiated within a Service. This class obtains a BluetoothAdapter and checks whether Bluetooth is enabled before scanning for neighbouring devices.

Now if Bluetooth is not enabled I want to be able to do the following within this class (BluetoothDiscoverer):

Code (Text):
    3. Intent enableBluetoothIntent  = new
    4. Intent(BluetoothAdapter.ACTION_REQUEST_ENABLE);
    6. startActivityForResult(enableBluetoothIntent, BLUETOOTH_ENABLER);
    Now I have read this: use startActivityForResult from non-activity

but I don't want to pass my Main Activity into this object since I want to deal with the result (whether the user accepts to enable bluetooth or not) within the BluetoothDiscoverer class.

Now If I make BluetoothDiscoverer a subclass of Activity

I seem to be getting a NullPointerException when the startActivityForResult is about to be called.

I think this is because I need to add an onCreate()/onDestroy() method, but this defeats the purpose of what I am doing as I need to be able to call methods on the BluetoothDiscoverer object within the service that instantiates this class.

I also need to register a broadcast receiver for retrieving neighbouring devices when a scan is initiated. If the BluetoothDiscoverer class is not an Activity, how do I register this receiver?

Is there a work around for this?

Thank you
    Andreas

Advertisement
  2. trotimax

trotimax New Member

Hi,

I am in the same situation. Did you find solution to your problem ?

Thanks for your reply,
  3. trotimax

trotimax New Member

Hi,

I am in the same situation. Did you find solution to your problem ?

Thanks for your reply,