Android System RecoveryGeneral

Last Updated:

1. anr311

anr311 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Edited: figured it out - had to launch hboot first.

I am trying to root my phone, but I can't get the system recovery to come up.

I'm following the Universal Eris Root for Dummies thread here and it said to power off and then power up while pressing the volume up key. This does not launch the system recovery for me, just boots up like normal.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Power off the device, wait long enough for it to truly be "dead" after it's gone black, about another 10 seconds.

Hold down the V-up key, then, as you are holding that key, press and hold the power key and hold them both until you see the screen light up, then release and wait for the recovery screen.

Make your selection(s) using the trackball. Move backward in the menu, if need be, using V-down.

3. lukesdiesel

lukesdiesel Well-Known Member

Unless your phone is not actually rooted.

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Indeed, you may have gotten the order of the steps mixed up and are attempting to use recovery when in fact it is not yet there. ;)

5. jday

jday Member

If you still have problems getting to recovery using the above instructions there might be an alternative. For some reason, the "Vol Up" + "Power on" has never worked for me on my Eris--it boots normally when I do that. Don't ask me why because I know that is the standard procedure, but I've tested it many, many times. In my case, if I hold down the "Vol DOWN" + Power" my phone goes to a page that allows me to select "Recovery" and then it goes to the "Android system recovery" page.