Android System Running High

Last Updated:

1. Fr1ction

Fr1ction New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I was getting sick of the horrible battery life I was getting on my EVO and was seriously about to go to sprint and turn it in for a Blackberry which I never had problems with. I decided to research the phone today and stuff to help battery life and I found this website which has shown me a lot of things that I can do to help my battery life.

I noticed on most other peoples phones when they have a screenshot of their phones "usage" my Android System is 96%, cell standby 2% and Idle 2%. My phone also seems to be very warm at most times even when sitting on my counter in my Air Conditioned Condo. Is this something that's normal or am I losing it.

Also I have read that "rooting" my phone seems to be a common thing. From what I understand rooting allows me to access the "guts" of my phone but how will this help my battery life?

I am brand new to the "Android Family" and I was kind of suprised to see all things that you could do to these phones. If anyone could help me out that would be appreciated sooo much. Thank you.

Advertisement
  2. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

Your phone is not sleeping at all. Meaning even though the display is off it is still running nonstop. You can do a hard reset and it will probably go away or you can try changing a few settings. Go to menu then settings then Accounts and Sync and change Facebok settings. Uncheck Sync Live Feed and then click on Acount Settings and change the frequency to once per day. It is believed that a bug is keeping Facebook constantly syncing. Also go to Menu then Settings then About phone then Battery and look at your Up time and Awake time just to see if your phone is in fact staying awake. Or you can just wait until the small update comes out tomorrow to see if it fixes it

3. Fr1ction

What exactly is a hard reset and how do I do it?

4. sikclown

A hard reset wipes out your phone and puts it back to factory condition. The only thing it doesn't wipe out is the stuff on your SD card. You can do it by going to Menu then Settings then Privacy then Factory data reset. But I would wait until after tomorrows update.

5. Fr1ction

Ok, thanks a lot I appreciate your help. What about rooting? How does that minimize your battery usage?

6. vgsantiago

vgsantiago Well-Known Member

+1
    I thought my Facebook settings were on manual only to find out it was every 2 hours. So I set it to 1 per day. THanks for this, hopefully will help

7. ryohei47

ryohei47 Well-Known Member

rooting allows you to install custom ROMs, some of which have been optimized to save battery life

8. Fr1ction

Ok, I've heard a lot about unrevoked is that the best one to get or is there another thats better or is it simply preference?

9. adseguy

adseguy Well-Known Member

The acting of rooting doesn't do anything, but allow you to get full access to your phone's memory. That doesn't do any savings and to be honest the roms the people talk of that save battery will at most give you another 10% and that's a stretch. Just do the data wipe by going to privacy under settings and then you will have to setup the phone again from scratch unless you use titanium backup to backup all your apps/data. GL

10. farva

farva Well-Known Member

My Android System usually runs at 30% plus - most screenshots I have seen from people's phones have it running around 15% or less. Is there anything I can do to see what may be making it run high?

11. sikclown

Well the more you use your eVo the higher that Android System stat will be. Are you a heavy user? What is your Display on time and percentage? What is your Uptime and your Awake time?