• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Android system update

Do I need to take my Nexus 4 out of root in order to install this system update that was downloaded into my phone today Aug. 18 2015? It appears to be an Android System Update...
Yes, I don't believe that you'll be able to install the OTA if the filesystem is modified (to include the addition of superuser).

The cleaner option may be to instead flash the latest factory image, then re-root. We've got a nice guide on flashing over >here<, but let us know if you've got any questions or need any help. :)

Upvote 0
Thanx for the reply. I used the Wugs Toolkit to root my phone. Right now I'm at 5.1.1 and running build number LMY 47V. I know how to unroot with the toolkit but once I do that I will need the new update to install and I'm not sure where to get it once I flash the stock image and unroot. I am used to the Wugs toolkit but I will need to download the new update once I'm unrooted so if someone can help me with that I'd be greatly appreciative.

Upvote 0
Wugs can do all that for you...
Open Wugs & under "flash stock + unroot" choose "device is on/normal then click on "flash stock + unroot". From the dropdown menu choose the new build "LMY48I" under choice "Automatically download..." under settings check "No Wipe" & "Force Flash" than hit ok.
This will flash the new image & keep all your files. When it is done, use Wugs to root & install custom recovery again.

I've tried to install just the update through Wugs, but I've too many changes & it always fails.
Flashing the factory image is just as easy, just takes a little longer.

Upvote 0
Is it sufficient to flash stock recovery to "unroot" before an OTA update?

No. You actually need to remove any modifications to the system (like root) before attempting an OTA update. Just reflashing recovery won't cut it.

Honestly, with a Nexus I usually find it easier to just flash the latest factory image once it gets updated without wiping data in the process, then reflash the custom recovery of your choice, and flash the latest superuser.zip from custom recovery. Much less tedious.

Upvote 0
... Honestly, with a Nexus I usually find it easier to just flash the latest factory image once it gets updated without wiping data in the process, then reflash the custom recovery of your choice, and flash the latest superuser.zip from custom recovery. Much less tedious.

May I ask how one accomplishes that "... without wiping data in the process ..." please, given:

occam-lmy48m/
occam-lmy48m/radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1701.07.img
occam-lmy48m/image-occam-lmy48m.zip
occam-lmy48m/flash-all.bat
occam-lmy48m/bootloader-mako-makoz30f.img
occam-lmy48m/flash-all.sh
occam-lmy48m/flash-base.sh

Does "flash-all" wipe data, or should I just do a subset?

Upvote 0
May I ask how one accomplishes that "... without wiping data in the process ..." please, given:

occam-lmy48m/
occam-lmy48m/radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1701.07.img
occam-lmy48m/image-occam-lmy48m.zip
occam-lmy48m/flash-all.bat
occam-lmy48m/bootloader-mako-makoz30f.img
occam-lmy48m/flash-all.sh
occam-lmy48m/flash-base.sh

Does "flash-all" wipe data, or should I just do a subset?
If you look inside the flash-all script (.bat/.sh, as appropriate for your OS), there's a line that includes something about "fastboot update -w image-occam-lmy48m.zip". The -w indicates "wipe". Remove the -w from that command, save the file, and execute the script.

See also instructions here, just remember to omit the -w when you get to it. :)

Upvote 0
If you look inside the flash-all script (.bat/.sh, as appropriate for your OS), there's a line that includes something about "fastboot update -w image-occam-lmy48m.zip". The -w indicates "wipe". Remove the -w from that command, save the file, and execute the script.

See also instructions here, just remember to omit the -w when you get to it. :)

Thank you, easily done. Not sure why the coding team would include the -w option to begin with, as it would seem to cause much grief.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones