• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android = the right choice?

Hi y'all!

I'm planning to buy a new phone next week (last one got stolen), and I'm kinda thinking about an android one....

I've got three requirements:

-An easily manageble "to do"-list om the home screen (e.g stickynotes)

-A good calendar (which may or may not be able to sync with google calendar, no biggie!)

-Ability to sync my adress book with an online server (google sync?) every month or so...(That was two years' worth of contacts, damnit!!!)

Anyway, my question is this: Would an android phone really be the best choice for me?

I'm kinda on a tigt budget, and I've heard horror stories of Android phones/Iphones having to connect to the net every day or so...

But the only thing I really need the internet for is for syncing (the adress book once a month, the calendar every week or so), checking my mail now and then and for downloading the occasional app (e.g. stickynotes).

....So what do you guys think? Should I go for something simpler or am I simply making to big a fuzz out of the online costs?

Thanks for your advice!/saddamhansson

Oh yes, Android will do that fine.

And you dont have to connect to the net all the time. It is easy to turn off data connection and/or sync.

Hi y'all!

I'm planning to buy a new phone next week (last one got stolen), and I'm kinda thinking about an android one....

I've got three requirements:

-A good calendar (which may or may not be able to sync with google calendar, no biggie!)

-Ability to sync my adress book with an online server (google sync?) every month or so...(That was two years' worth of contacts, damnit!!!)

Anyway, my question is this: Would an android phone really be the best choice for me?

I'm kinda on a tigt budget, and I've heard horror stories of Android phones/Iphones having to connect to the net every day or so...

But the only thing I really need the internet for is for syncing (the adress book once a month, the calendar every week or so), checking my mail now and then and for downloading the occasional app (e.g. stickynotes).

....So what do you guys think? Should I go for something simpler or am I simply making to big a fuzz out of the online costs?

Thanks for your advice!/saddamhansson

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear your last one fell victim to theft.

Absolutely. Quite a range of choices, in fact, both free and paid, in any color or size.

Sync with GCalendar is pretty much standard, since most calendar apps on Android will draw from the built-in calendar. So yep, plenty. Many people like Smooth Calendar and Pure Calendar.

Sync and everything's backed up to your google account. You can sync manually at will or have it auto-sync whenever you have a data connection. There's also an app that'll let you back up all contacts to your SIM card.

Nothing better for this. Syncing calendar/contacts is integrated throughout Android, especially for a gmail user. There are even apps for syncing to google docs (never lose your notes ever again!).

Do you have a particular Android handset in mind?

Reactions: saddamhansson
Upvote 0
Grainysand:

That sounds super helpful, thanks!

...so, can you make sure that the phone only connects to the net/syncs you program when there's wi-fi available?

Right now I'm thinking about Tattoo, Spica or Hero...

Come to think of it, most likely Spica or Hero. I want some room for texting, and you can't use a pen for android phones (they've got capacitive screens, that is) right?

what was that about a "thank you-button"? =D

Upvote 0
Grainysand:

That sounds super helpful, thanks!

...so, can you make sure that the phone only connects to the net/syncs you program when there's wi-fi available?

Yep, just go into settings and delete the APN, if there is any. If there isn't and you never enter your carrier's APN, then it won't be able to connect to the net by itself ever. Alternatively, if you do have a data plan and don't want to delete the APN settings, you can use an app called APNdroid to toggle mobile data connection on or off.

Come to think of it, most likely Spica or Hero. I want some room for texting, and you can't use a pen for android phones (they've got capacitive screens, that is) right?

The Hero's a fine device, but you may want to wait for the Legend, which is the Hero's successor but with upgraded hardware (aluminium body, faster processor and all). Can't use a stylus, no, though I think there may be capacitive styli available somewhere.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones