Android Theme Ability

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rob

rob I'm tellin' mommy on you! Administrator

What type of access do developers have to modding the UI with various fonts, colors, graphics, options, etc... ? It would be pretty cool if people could very easily customize their phone.

Hey that's an app idea right there. Create an app that will customize the theme for you... select your own font, font sizes, colors, etc... and the app does all the dirty work in the background!

Advertisement
  2. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Member

I'm not a developer so I wouldn't know. But, I'm pretty sure that is one of the MOST basic building blocks of Android... to mess around with the UI isn't it? I'm pretty sure there will be tools/apps that let you create your own theme.

If not... where's the dev team? Jump on it!
  3. rob

WOW connor thanks for those links... looks pretty SWEET
    Techlord likes this.
  4. irishgandalf

irishgandalf Well-Known Member

Np! btw my name is Conor it's the surname that has 2 Ns
  5. rob

Gotchya, apologies... I'll inevitably just be calling you irish or gandalf or igandy or something because the username is what you see all the time.
  6. irishgandalf

irishgandalf Well-Known Member

i've no prob with that at all! i donno why i gave out my name in the first place!
  7. OrganizedFellow

OrganizedFellow Well-Known Member

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

Have you all seen their videos?!
    I mean, it's one thing to view them on YouTube, but quite another to view them direct from their site (i went to: http://www.tat.se/conceptlab/). They link to 10 QuickTime video files.
    If you have DownThemAll Firefox extension, you can use that!
    :)

But check out what was posted on the
    Open Handset Allience members page
    140 million devices????
  8. johnkzin

johnkzin Well-Known Member

I very much liked "November Rain" and somewhat liked "River of Photos" or whatever that one was called (I wish you had put the theme names/titles above the movies, instead of relying upon them to be seen within the movie).

The third from the last one didn't have a name/title in the movie, so I don't know what it was called, but I liked it a lot too (everything except the blue sparkling/bubbling pointer). I especially liked that it used an old menu concept I have wanted to see in UI's since the late 1980's -- circular/pie-shaped context menus. (in this case, it looked more like star/snowflake shaped, but still, that's a style representation, it's the same underlying mechanism).

If these are actual android themes that are available, then I think I'm going to be quite happy. But I'm also not sure I'd call these "themes". they're not just coloring/skinning the interface, each one shows a very different actual UI. Themes and skins are just veneers over the same underlying UI. These show a great deal of range and creativity is possible in the UI customization, and I reall like that.

The one thing I really didn't like: the font in the 2nd one from the top. "The quick brown fox" looked to me like "the quick brown Pox" ... not a good mixup. The last thing we want is a pox upon our phones ;-)

Thanks for posting these, though.
  9. Windchill

Windchill Well-Known Member

I am curious. I know on blackberrys you would have themes that were locked in the os. You could, if you knew how, go in and unlock these themes. If any of you are familiar with BB's, you know about the Zen theme. Also there was a hidden game that could be unlocked.

Has anyone found anything like this in the OS of the G1 yet?
  10. sylo88

sylo88 Member

arn't those all iphone themes?
  11. OrganizedFellow

OrganizedFellow Well-Known Member

Which 'those' are you referring to?
  12. Quirk

Quirk Active Member

Themes are not out yet? When will themes work?
  13. meltyblood913

meltyblood913 Active Member

Yea a new gui or UI would be nice like skins xp and so on
    and windblinds and all those theme stuff for windows except for Android OS
  14. richy240

richy240 Well-Known Member

15. p_quarles

p_quarles Member

Thanks for the update, ricky240.

It looks as though that developer was working with a jailbroken phone. I'm hoping there's a less invasive way of skinning the interface figured out sooner rather than later. As I start to encounter more people with my phone, I'd like to be able to change something about it. :D
  16. Kael29

Kael29 Active Member

If you read the media page, you'll realize that they are the ones behind the G1's interface.
  17. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender

Mhm that I've done too, eventually gave up.

Always get redirected from the game itself.

DS
  18. akikhia

akikhia Well-Known Member

ya it is. any idea how long it would take to arrive if i do it online? im thinking about just reporting it lost and maybe keep this one til its unlocked or something.
  19. yackovsky

yackovsky Active Member

android theme ability? countless... for starters, take a look at cyanogenmod and its theme engine. a lot of themes out there in play store, but only unified look.

now, miui roms with their mix and match theme engine which allows you to theme everything up to your own taste (use icons from this theme and statusbar from another, and ooh that theme have kewl lockscreen, lets drop it in too!) yup, thats how it works :)

and there's also UOT Kitchen don't know much about it, heard that it's very handy in theming.

and yeah, launcher themes, which allow you basically to change only icons but it's still something...
  20. ARocker

ARocker Guides Guide

Redacted
  21. Yoinx

Yoinx Well-Known Member

I'm curious if something is messed up on the storage section's format command. You know... Instead formatting /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 it's formatting like /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 or something

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2
  22. dlinderaz

dlinderaz Well-Known Member

Hey. Haven't been here in a while. What theme is this? It's pretty fresh. :)
  23. dlinderaz

dlinderaz Well-Known Member

This is the one I meant to ask you about. Sorry. The other one is nice too, but I have a hard time seeing darker themes when I'm out and about. Been sticking to bright themes lol
  24. flakito97

flakito97 Well-Known Member

Yea I'm currently running it. I love the feel its really stable especially with the crossseeder zip and Franco kernel shabby posted. It's hella fast. BrightNess and battery are also very good, not to mention the sound quality is beast!! But mms and wifi tethering isn't functioning and those are key features I need working in a Rom. ... :( what fix zip did you use mike??
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.