1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Android to android tethering?

Last Updated:

1. Wh*reofSpamylon

Wh*reofSpamylon New Member This Topic's Starter

I am about set on getting a Windows based tablet since I want a tablet that I can tether my Droid 1 to, but I was wondering if there are any apps available that would make it possible to tether my Droid to a android tablet? If so, then that may greatly influence my buying decision.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Root your phone and use wifi tether. It allows you to share your 3g connection via wifi, then just connect your tablet to the phone via wifi.

3. fgzman

fgzman New Member

For on the go activity can you connect my evo with usb cable to my Android tablet? :eek:

4. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

It is all not that simple. AFAIR Android does not allow ad-hoc connections, so when you create a WiFi hotspot using your Android phone the Android tablet will not be able to connect to the created network.

A Windows running tablet, on the other hand, will have no issues with that at all.

5. EdAndInn

EdAndInn Well-Known Member

6. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic VIP Member

Not all android tablets have bluetooth. It may be easier for you to get a windows based tablet to tether because most the tethering apps have drivers written for USB tethering with windows.

7. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

That's weird, I've had my mate connect to my wifi hotspot countless of times when he didn't have a data plan yet.
    I was using my trusty Nexus One and he has a Wildfire.
    Connecting to the wifi hotspot should be just as simple as connecting to any other wifi source, shouldn't it?

8. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic VIP Member

Some devices don't allow it due to it being an ad hoc connection. Most gaming consoles will not connect to an ad hoc connection

9. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

It is not that simple. Take corporate laptops for example - my company-provided laptop was set up not to allow ad-hoc connections at all.