• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

android tv dongle

femgoth

Jul 5, 2012
hi guys,

so we just bought a flashy new tv, and i decided to get an android tv dongle, the type that look like a memory stick that you plug into the hdmi slot on the tv.

question is, how the hell do i control it? i know i can do it using my phone or tablet (apparently) but how? how do i get the dongle to recognise any peripherals in the first place if i cant control it because nothing is attached. i dont have a usb keyboard to plug in, all i have is my phone and tablet (both android of course).

any pointers?

ok so i pilfered the usb mouse from the kids' pc and connected it to the dongle so i have some control, got it all set up on the home wifi network..

i installed the rikomagic app on my phone and tablet, but neither of them will actually find the dongle to control it, and if i put in the ip address manually i get to the control screen but nothing works..

anyone actually having any luck with this..?

Upvote 0
ok so it turns out that a mojor issue with the rikomagic dongle is the terrible (and i mean truly terrible) wifi connectivity. the dongle is a few feet from the wifi router and still only gets one wifi bar.. it is stunningly pathetic.

i managed to get it working with droidmote for a second or two, the major issue with it being that because it is over wifi it is patchy. not only that, if i have the droidmote server running on the dongle then i cant stream anything from the pc to the tv because the pathetic wifi is all used up by the server. it is seriously so bad that if i have the server running then i cannot get the dongle to even see any network storage before it times out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones