android tv dongle

Last Updated: 2013-02-04 11:06:51
  1. femgoth

femgoth Active Member

hi guys,

so we just bought a flashy new tv, and i decided to get an android tv dongle, the type that look like a memory stick that you plug into the hdmi slot on the tv.

question is, how the hell do i control it? i know i can do it using my phone or tablet (apparently) but how? how do i get the dongle to recognise any peripherals in the first place if i cant control it because nothing is attached. i dont have a usb keyboard to plug in, all i have is my phone and tablet (both android of course).

any pointers?

Advertisement
  2. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

The MK808 Android 4.1 has a wireless remote control enclosed :)

Harry
  3. femgoth

femgoth Active Member

yeah, what does that mean? how do i connect my tablet to the dongle? i have tv switched over to the right source, and tablet in hand... now what?
  4. femgoth

femgoth Active Member

i dont want to buy anything else to have laying around for the toddler to get hold of, i want to use my phone or tablet, or the wifes phone etc..
  5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven -.. --- - / -.. .- ... .... Moderator

I moved this to the Google TV forum to see if you can get started.:)
  6. femgoth

femgoth Active Member

ok so i pilfered the usb mouse from the kids' pc and connected it to the dongle so i have some control, got it all set up on the home wifi network..

i installed the rikomagic app on my phone and tablet, but neither of them will actually find the dongle to control it, and if i put in the ip address manually i get to the control screen but nothing works..

anyone actually having any luck with this..?
  7. for a pound

for a pound Active Member

My brother has 1 of those things and controls it with his phone, I'll see him tomorrow and find out more info for you
  8. for a pound

for a pound Active Member

He has the samsung allshare dongle and the Samsung note 2 which has a built in app
    I can watch and stream from my nexus 7 to my panisonic et5 without the need for a dongle with the use of a few simple apps
  9. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

You'll need a remote control app on your phone for to control a MK808.

As I heard, the apps Webkey or DroidMote aren't very good for that job.

There is a new app that you might try:
    Agile Remote Client on phone
    Agile Remote Server on MK808

Harry
  10. femgoth

femgoth Active Member

ok so it turns out that a mojor issue with the rikomagic dongle is the terrible (and i mean truly terrible) wifi connectivity. the dongle is a few feet from the wifi router and still only gets one wifi bar.. it is stunningly pathetic.

i managed to get it working with droidmote for a second or two, the major issue with it being that because it is over wifi it is patchy. not only that, if i have the droidmote server running on the dongle then i cant stream anything from the pc to the tv because the pathetic wifi is all used up by the server. it is seriously so bad that if i have the server running then i cannot get the dongle to even see any network storage before it times out.