• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android TV forum

funkylogik

share the love peeps ;)
Sep 15, 2011
Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
Am I just missing one or does it not exist @Phases?

I recently made a drunken impulse buy on this

Android 4.2 mini PC 1.8GHz Quad Core with 2G RAM DDR3 RK3188 TV Box TV Dongle Bluetooth WIFI HDMI MK809 III

HDMI stick, should be here beginning of next month and I don't have a CLUE what I'll be doing with it so could use a forum with some help.
Cheers for reading mate :thumbsupdroid:

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Think of that as just like a little Jellybean phone except it uses your TV for the screen and then something else for input - maybe Bluetooth? In which case you can get a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse app for your phone or they'll tell you what to do.

You load apps that have content, say like Netflix, then what would be full screen mode on your phone is now the full TV screen.

You get apps from the Play Store - it's like a phone ok.

I've never used one but prior to Chromecast a lot of people swore by these kind of things.

Doubtful that you can root it easily, doubtful that you'd want to.

Mind the reviews that that one has a limited wifi range - I think otherwise you should be good to go.

Upvote 0
Yeah I read those reviews and tested my wifi with an analyser on my broken old tablet and while it had a strong signal, I'm sharing the channel with someone's distant lil signal (hence my post on changing hotspot channel lol)
Rooted: I read one dude say it's pre rooted and another saying it couldn't be rooted so...... :D

Do you think it will come with a remote and if so how would that work? Like a Wii?
Cheers mate
(thanks for even reading the reviews. I hope you know I appreciate that) <3

Reactions: RA_BH
Upvote 0
No idea but if it came with a remote you'd think that they'd say.

I noticed that they recommended this -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rii-RT-MWK01-Wireless-Entertainment-Raspberry-Black/dp/B008RRX6QI/

But I couldn't find if that 2.4 GHz means wifi or Bluetooth.

Either way - I'd expect it to have some sort of server and instructions and you'll want to go with a compatible remote control app.

I control and type on my htpc Mac from my phone using a wifi keyboard/mouse app on my phone.

And the Play Store has a bunch of those, and Bluetooth apps, and other Android-to-Android remote controllers.

I expect they'll say in the instructions which you'll need.

Upvote 0
Time to pull out my TV to see if it has stereo phono outputs so I can plug it into my hifi amp. That would be cool.
If not maybe the stick has them
I doubt that the stick will - adding analog sound is a little pricy and the target is HDMI.

If your TV doesn't them, how about a headphones jack? You can get an adapter to go from that to your stereo - cheap. Mind the volume though so you don't overload the stereo and you should be fine.

Upvote 0
Lol I must have read your mind because that's exactly what I checked for when I realised the lack of phono (can't actually believe I hadn't set this up before.
I have all the leads since hell struck me and I lost EVERY ONE of my CDs during a flit/move.
Youtube provides all my musical needs with a headphone jack plugged into the phone (and audio quality isn't bad if as you say you get the balancing right.)
And now I'll have accompanying videos on the TV.
Ahh this lil adventure has really cheered me up.
I thought all my cables/connectors had been left at my estranged wife's pad.
My bachelor pad is coming together finally both physically and emotionally :)

Upvote 0
So my box came today and I think I made a boob buying it. There is (as you expected), just a useless homescreen. no remote and I cany find any app that works with it (BT remote or nothing, everything seems to require wifi) ) that i can find to even set it up and see of my hotspot is strong enough to even run it before investing in a remote (if there's even a bt one available)
Any ideas mate @EarlyMon? :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Plus, I'm not totally sure where this belongs but knowing that we used to have a number of members talking about these things, I've elected to try the old Android Lounge area, News & Talk.
Yeah that's fine mate. Ahh an old USB mouse.. Brainwave mate I'll see what I can come up with. My best mate defo had one but I found out yesterday he died (no soppy sympathies please lol) but I can't really ask his family for that (can i?)
Anyway thanks for the idea man. I owe you a few ;)

Upvote 0
Working beautifuly. Watching Orange Is The New Black on Netflix as we speak.

One more question (im sure I posted this in questions But my plan ran out so it may not have posted so you guysl have to do.
My dad gave me this old Bluetooth mouse and I can't get it to pare. I set my box as discoverable and it searches but finds nothing. Is there something I have to do to make the mouse discoverable?
Google just tells me to install pc drivers so is the mouse maybe from before Android?
I'll include some pics and provide any info i can.
Thanks again guys :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones