• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International Tegra 3] Android update error

genkeeper

Lurker
May 30, 2013
Hi,

I'm having trouble with my phone. I'm running ICS. My phone has been acting up. When I try to type it will hit many letters at once. Such as when I hit "H" the screen will show "Hxts89".

Also. when i hit apps or my text or phone call icon it won't always open when I touch it.

ICS wants to do a software update 3.14.401.27 which includes Androd 4.1.1 and HTC Sense 4+. When I click "install now" the phone then reboots and takes me to a page that says ClockworkMod Rocovery v5.8.2.7 asking it I want to a) reboot, b) install zip from sdcard, c) wipe data/factory reset, d) wipe cache partition, e) backup and restore, f) mounts and storage, g) advanced.

I click reboot and again start the whole cycle over again.

Why does it keep doing this and how do I fix it so I can install the Android update.

Thanks!!

Cheers,

Genevieve

There was a thread on xda somewhere with the stock recoveries, but I can't find it. We can do it manually, but it will take a little longer.

Just to double check, can you head in to your bootloader (completely turn off the phone, turn back on by holding power and volume down until you're taken to a white screen with 3 skateboarding androids on the bottom of it, make sure it says endeavour somewhere at the top, then you can reboot. If you can't see endeavour anywhere on the screen, DON'T try any of the steps below, but let me know what it says.

1. Download this
2. Head here and download our Mini SDK: http://androidforums.com/faqs/443072-adb-guide-updated-2013-05-21-a.html#post5389081
3. Leave the RUU for now, but extract the contents of the Mini SDK to a folder called SDK.
4. Don't connect the phone, but run the program RUU
5. It will error or ask for the phone to be connected. Don't connect the phone, but exit out of the program
6. Search your PC for a file called rom.zip.
7. Once you find rom.zip, open it and look for a file called recovery_signed.img (it might even just be called recovery.img).
8. Extract that, then place it in to the SDK folder.
9. Open a command prompt window, navigating to the SDK Folder. To make it easier, you can find the folder in windows explorer, open it, hold the shift key, right click anywhere inside the folder and select "open command window here".
10. Turn your phone off again, turn it on holding power and volume down, then using the volume up and down buttons to move and the power button to select, enter fastboot.
11. Connect the phone to your PC, and check your phone screen, it should say "fastboot usb" about a third of the way down?
12. If it does, on your PC via the command window and type:

Code:
fastboot flash recovery XXXX.img

XXXX.img is the name of the file you extracted from the rom.zip

13. Once done, disconnect the phone from the PC and reboot.
14. Try and update!

Too complex? There are other ways, but you'll lose data doing things that way. It might be easier though and we can back certain things up. Let me know what you need to backup and I'll see what I can find.

Upvote 0
It's the custom recovery (clockworkmod) that's causing the issue, not the error. :(

You could try a factory reset, that would wipe your apps/settings etc, basically anything you've put on the phone yourself. Even after a reset, you still wouldn't be able to install the update though.

Do you need SMS & Contacts backed up?

You could run an RUU, it's essentially an exe file which you run with your phone connected to the PC that wipes it clean and starts from scratch, installing a new, updated OS in the process. (you'd still need to do a little fastboot, command prompt stuff though).

Upvote 0
I am also having a problem with the latest OTA system update.
My phone starts the process and only gets through about 20% and then gets stuck (red triangle).

My phone is a UK sim free HTC one X, which has been rooted. before the last big update I replace clockwork with a stock recovery.

Phone reads
Android Version 4.1.1
HTC sense version 4+
Software number 3.14.401.31
HTC SDK API level 4.63
HTC Extension version HTCExtension_sense45_1

The boot loader is relocked

Any help would be appreciated.
:)

Upvote 0
So is my best bet to do what you had explained before? That would let me update. Is there a risk that if I do it wrong I will brick my phone?

I do want to back up my SMS and phone numbers before I start messing with my phone. How do I do that?

Thanks for all the help!!

The process isn't risk free, but it's relatively safe. I'd prefer that someone else had extracted the recovery.img and posted them (and I thought they were online), but I can't find them.

For SMS look at SMS Backup.

If you log in to your gmail account on your PC, open contacts, do you see a list of numbers on your phone?

I am also having a problem with the latest OTA system update.
My phone starts the process and only gets through about 20% and then gets stuck (red triangle).

My phone is a UK sim free HTC one X, which has been rooted. before the last big update I replace clockwork with a stock recovery.

Phone reads
Android Version 4.1.1
HTC sense version 4+
Software number 3.14.401.31
HTC SDK API level 4.63
HTC Extension version HTCExtension_sense45_1

The boot loader is relocked

Any help would be appreciated.
:)

Is it redownloading the update file each time? If no, look for a file called update.zip on the SD Card, delete it and try again.

Upvote 0
Hi El Presidente
Thanks for the reply. It is redownloading each time and could not find update.zip on the SD Card.

The bootloader is relocked, but are you still rooted or anything like that? There are various checks the update will do before it allows you to update, root maybe one of them (although it's not normally an issue). Have you deleted/disabled any of the stock apps too?

Upvote 0
Hi there
I found an apk on xda developers and tried to install but it wouldn't work. Not sure if it was because it was an older version or because I was not doing it correctly (the downloaded version began with a 1 and I think mine began with a 2). I put the APKs etc in a folder on the SD card and used an app called "installer". It found the APKs and tried to install but it wouldn't work

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones