• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Update for HTC?

-As for 4G and whether it's compatible with 2.1, 2.2, x.x - take the Hero for example. CDMA was not an Android-compatible thing until 1.6, yet our Hero's run 1.5. Apparently it can be bolted on to any version, and I bet 4G is the same.

-As for the Evo getting 2.2 at launch. I doubt it. Sprint has already announced 2.1 is on it. Sucks, as this will be the first 'flagship Android device' without the latest OS loaded on it.

-I really hope HTC/Sprint are on the ball with an update to the phone. I hope they realize that keeping it as current as possible is necessary. I hope that Sense and 2.2 play well and it can be updated quickly.

-As for custom ROMs. I'm running a fabulous 2.1 load on my Hero because the test ROMs for the Eris and eventually Hero were leaked. The Evo is a unique 4G phone. The only custom ROMs will come from leaks, right? Otherwise it would be hard for a developer to hack things onto the Evo, if not impossible. I might be wrong, but we won't see and 2.2 custom ROM action until the 2.2 ROM for the Evo itself leaks or is released...?

Upvote 0
why does froyo have to have Sense UI?

maybe froyo incorporates some Sense UI items in it?

just some questions, no answers i'm afraid.

either way, I dumped my N1 in preparation for EVO

Sense UI is just a HTC thing. Think of it as pretty links to the apps beneath it. Problem is that new versions of the OS (that are released frequently, and usually add new functionality) *may* not allow Sense UI to work properly once you update. I'm still somewhat an Android n00b, but it sounds like the new OS (Froyo) is going to allow all compatible phones to get updates at the same time with OTA updates or something in the Android Marketplace.

In the past, Google's baby (the Nexus One) has received updates first. Some other Android phones have taken much longer to receive updates (or haven't gotten them at all).

Upvote 0
i'm pretty sure there will be custom roms for it, the EVO is less unique than the Motorola droid was and look how many custom roms it has, i say less unique because it is not the ONLY phone running the OS it has, there will be other 2.1's out there, it also doesn't have a hard KB to implement. yes it has 4G but if the hero can have custom roms on 1.5 and still work with CDMA then there will be no problem. this phone will be a big seller and i'm sure all the modders would love to have a phone this slick, so there will defiantly be mods for this baby

You heard anything new on froyo?

Upvote 0
This is an example of how long it takes for custom ROMs to come out. Today it's 4/29 the Incredible's official release day and I got home a few hours ago so I havn't done much browsing yet but I took a peek at XDA and voila:

Inc. info from ROM - xda-developers

They've already started to pick apart the official ROM that came with the phone give them two days I bet they'll have the first custom ROM available for beta testing by then. There are so many ROM cookers on that site and so much interest in custom ROMs it literally happens that fast. I can't wait until Froyo comes out.

Upvote 0
Honestly I don't see Froyo being released as 2.x anything. The .x is for incremental changes this seems like more of a 3.0 deal with the inclusion of flash. That is unless Froyo introduces an end to fragmentation. Then Flash will be implemented through the market place. We shall see.
Its my understanding that's what Froyo does, end fragmentation. (at least on aspect of FroYo)

TS

Upvote 0
i'm pretty sure there will be custom roms for it, the EVO is less unique than the Motorola droid was and look how many custom roms it has, i say less unique because it is not the ONLY phone running the OS it has, there will be other 2.1's out there, it also doesn't have a hard KB to implement. yes it has 4G but if the hero can have custom roms on 1.5 and still work with CDMA then there will be no problem. this phone will be a big seller and i'm sure all the modders would love to have a phone this slick, so there will defiantly be mods for this baby

Yes of course there will be custom ROMs. BUT, all will probably be 2.1 ROMs, not 2.2 before it nears being released on the Evo. Same for all other phones. A 2.1 ROM for the Hero that actually worked didn't really come out until the ROMs leaked from Sprint/Verizon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones