Android Updates

Last Updated:

1. Case

Case Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm new to this whole Android game so you'll have to excuse my n00bness.

As I understand it, the Nexus One gets any Android updates quickly because they come straight from Google and the Nexus is a vanilla install.

The Desire uses Sense though so we would have to wait for updates on that to be made compatible by HTC

Am I right so far?

So I guess my real question is how much of an issue is this? Do updates come thick and fast for Android with loads of cool new features, or is it once in a blue moon you may get something new? Do HTC generally keep Sense up to date with the latest release?

Cheers :)

Advertisement
  2. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

The phone is good as it is, however Nexus One will get updates first but the HTC models will probably get updates after that.

3. joshjgordon

joshjgordon Member

Is it possible to turn sense off?

Or if an update is released for the N1, or any other android phone, is it possible to update the Desire / Hero / whatever HTC phone, and just do without sense and the other HTC add-ons?

4. twist123

twist123 Well-Known Member

You'd need to root in order to get the updates any sooner as far as Im aware. N1 updates will be first, then HTC.

5. photon00

photon00 Well-Known Member

Correct! Nexus ones will get their vanilla android OS direct from google, so we expect that to be pretty quick. Right now we don't know for sure how much of a delay it will take to propagate the same OS to the Desire. Though from looking at the Hero, which was released in the summer and still doesn't have 2.1 over here, we expect there to be a big delay. As the N1 and Desire are pretty much the same hardware I am hoping that a new OS on the N1 can be ported to the Desire. Just like Desire sense was ported to the N1.

Case likes this.
  6. Case

Case Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Cheers.

Doesn't sound too hopeful for Android updates then if the Hero took that long! As someone already mentioned though, the Desire is good as it is. I guess the need to get the latest version of Android just depends on what improvements they make in future releases.

Yep

Turn your HTC Desire into a Nexus One – Android and Me