Android version 2.0 and Hero

Last Updated:

1. gezh

gezh Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Android version 2.0 is now out. As a developer I should really get it for my development environment.

But my Hero is 1.5. How does this affect things? Will there be a 2.0 update for the Hero? And if I develop with 2.0 will my apps work on my 1.5 phone?

Hmmm...

Advertisement
  2. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

2.0 is coming for the hero, but it will be a while yet.

When you develop an app in the IDE you can specify the minimum required version of android for the app - recommend you keep this at 1.5 anyway cos there will probably be quite a few 1.5 phones around for a while.

3. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

This has been discussed quite a few times, if yyour search 'Android 2.0' in this forum, there a loads of threads already open on the matter.

2.0 is comiing to the Hero, hopefully before christmas (but that is not for certain). If you develop your apps soley for 2.0, chance are they won't work with 1.5. It would be easier to develop them for 1.5 and make them compatible with 2.0

4. gezh

gezh Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry for posting a common question... I looked down the first couple of pages but I guess things move quickly in this forum!

So the advice seems to be... install 2.0, but when developing specify 1.5 as the compatibility, meaning that the app will work on devices with either 1.5 or 2.0. Right?!

5. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

Sounds about right.