• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android versions

Hi... I am a absolute newbie to Android as I just bought an Android phone and an Android tablet last week. The first thing that threw me is that the phone has Android 2.X and the tablet has version 4.1. Is this like Windows XP and Windows 7?? Can all Android systems be "upgraded" to run the latest version or do you have to stick with what is installed. The second question is will I run into apps that run on one but not the other because of the operating system? I have already run into apps that will not run because of hardware...the tablet does not run Google Play but the phone does. I am a tinkerer and I love to experiment so I hope to be a good member of this forum. Thanks for any advice.

Welcome to the forums ProfZ! :)

First off devices get upgraded if Google releases the updates for them, otherwise some devices are stuck on the current outdated version of Android. Usually older smart phones cannot support the newer versions just because the phone will slow down since the newer system requires more processing power.

Secondly usually all apps will work on Android but some apps may perform better on the newer version of android than the older or sometimes vice versa.

I am also moving this thread into the Android Lounge, a place where general android questions can be answered!

Upvote 0
When I first got my eensy Optimus a couple years ago, it was almost cutting edge... for about a week. Then, while other droids came out with ICS and so on, mine crept from Froyo to Gingerbread, which was actually more of a downgrade, to me at least. So I went back to Froyo and am content to wait there until I get a new phone, so I can watch that become antiquated in my hands.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones