• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Virgin needs help selecting a phone

shirazdrum

Lurker
Apr 14, 2013
Hi guys,

Please disregard my total lack knowledge about smartphones and please take it easy on me. What I need is a cellphone that can connect to Wi-Fi so I can use Magicjack App or Google Talk APP over Wi-Fi while traveling outside of United States, it should be unlocked and be a quad band, and be able to surf the web and check my emails, and be somewhat fast at doing those chores.

Those are my only requirements. I could care less if the phone has a camera or not (to be honest I prefer if it didn't), games, Retina display, and all the bells and whistles everyone drools over is what I don't need or even like. If it comes with a rotary dial, all the better.

What are my options here? And of course go as cheap as possible.

Thanks,

Chris

Agreed.

If price is the priority, look for something that's already - or soon will be - a generation or two out of date. Any one of half a dozen HTCs or the Samsung Galaxy SII would fit the bill as well as the S. These are still very good phones and - like the SII - would have been top of the line but 18 months ago.

The downside is you probably won't get any more operating system upgrades for these phones, but I'm guessing that's probably not a primary concern.

As the previous post also states, if having a current phone and the latest O/S is a concern, your best bet is the Nexus 4 which is a snip at $300 on Play and is the dog's danglers*.

* = v good

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll be on the lookout for a good used Nexus. While i was searching away, i found a phone (I don't even know the brand name) which is called N9770 (U920) - MTK6577 and it goes for around 150 bucks new. Is it something I should stay away from?

Thanks again,

Chris

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones