• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Virgin needs to lose cherry !

PattyLynne

Lurker
Dec 21, 2015
I"m probably much older than most of you (56), but still pretty hip. LOL
Born and raised in Fl - Female - Biker chick
Very pc literate, but phones are a mysterious animal to me.
I just received an LG Optimus Fuel ( FREE ) But still on the Tracfone payg plan
I need to be using wifi-big time
Have searched all over, and became more dizzy headed then back in the 80s
If I can't find the info I need here, probably can"t find it anywhere
So.........I'll be buggin someone here, most likely soon.
See ya'll

Oh, one more thing @PattyLynne .. With Android stuff, it's best to get familiar with Linux OS if ur haven't yet cuz Android is actually MADE from Linux (kind of like an .exe file is made from Windows..). A great transition and (Windows friendly/style) OS from Windows to Linux would be Linux Mint Cinnamon 64bit. All Lollipop and above (Marshmallow) ROMs are 64bit to begin with and all previous OS ROMs up to KitKat are from a 32 bit system. If you use a 64bit system, you'll be able to work with any & every Android system that's out while the 32 bit will leave you stuck at kitkat. BUT.. don't leave yourself stranded without a Windows PC cuz some programs just aren't usable/made for Linux yet (like the LG Flash Tool). If you do something called "dualboot", you'll have the best of both worlds and get to choose which OS you wanna boot to each time you turn the PC on. It's OK if you don't have a big enough HDD for 2 systems, just make a "Live Boot Disk" with a DVD-R or Flash Drive (USB stick) to run Linux when needed/desired. I hope I'm not overwhelming you with information, just hoping to give you as many options available to work with when the necessity arises. That way you can spend more time getting any issues figured out instead of bashing the PC trying to make it do what you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: PattyLynne
Upvote 0
Oh, one more thing @PattyLynne .. With Android stuff, it's best to get familiar with Linux OS if ur haven't yet cuz Android is actually MADE from Linux (kind of like an .exe file is made from Windows..). A great transition and (Windows friendly/style) OS from Windows to Linux would be Linux Mint Cinnamon 64bit. All Lollipop and above (Marshmallow) ROMs are 64bit to begin with and all previous OS ROMs up to KitKat are from a 32 bit system. If you use a 64bit system, you'll be able to work with any & every Android system that's out while the 32 bit will leave you stuck at kitkat. BUT.. don't leave yourself stranded without a Windows PC cuz some programs just aren't usable/made for Linux yet (like the LG Flash Tool). If you do something called "dualboot", you'll have the best of both worlds and get to choose which OS you wanna boot to each time you turn the PC on. It's OK if you don't have a big enough HDD for 2 systems, just make a "Live Boot Disk" with a DVD-R or Flash Drive (USB stick) to run Linux when needed/desired. I hope I'm not overwhelming you with information, just hoping to give you as many options available to work with when the necessity arises. That way you can spend more time getting any issues figured out instead of bashing the PC trying to make it do what you want.

Not sure I would need or actually want another OS running. I have 7 pro 64, and because I run my Merchant Account on it, I want no confusion or problems with TransArmor. But Thank You greatly for the info. Just by lookin around, The first I'm gonna do, is a nandroid backup, when I figure out how.

Upvote 0
Like I said, just make some Live boot disks or USB's and that won't mess up anything currently on ur PC. To get a nandroid, you'll need Root, and a custom recovery (CWM, TWRP) that was made for your specific device.. If no such recovery exists yet, you can use "Online Nandroid" by h3r3t1c (Google Play) to make a backup and pull files from it but you still need that custom recovery to flash the backup and restore the phone

Reactions: PattyLynne
Upvote 0
Be it known that that I am perusing each of ya'lls posting for your knowledge. Not stalking you, ( maybe..)
just figure anyone who responds is worth checkin out and stealing knowledge from. Thanks All for the warm welcome!

Be sure to read ALL of my posts...I'll wait until you're done...

:p ;) :D

Upvote 0
Hey PattyLynne, I don't want to discourage you in any way but that Optimus Fuel has pretty minimal resources so I would keep any expectations to a reasonable level. I just took a look at it's hardware specs and it's relatively limited:
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/LG-Optimus-Fuel_id9333
http://www.mylgphones.com/lg-l34c-l40-price-specs-and-features
With only 4 GB of integral storage memory, 512 MB of RAM, and a 3.5", 480x320 resolution screen for the price it's not bad at all but just keep in mind that if you really want to get into Android it's only going to let you get up to a certain level. Anyway, apparently your Fuel has been rooted, there's a discussion about it here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-l/401984-lg-l34c-optimus-fuel-how-do-i-root-phone.html

Upvote 0
Hey PattyLynne, I don't want to discourage you in any way but that Optimus Fuel has pretty minimal resources so I would keep any expectations to a reasonable level. I just took a look at it's hardware specs and it's relatively limited:
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/LG-Optimus-Fuel_id9333
http://www.mylgphones.com/lg-l34c-l40-price-specs-and-features
With only 4 GB of integral storage memory, 512 MB of RAM, and a 3.5", 480x320 resolution screen for the price it's not bad at all but just keep in mind that if you really want to get into Android it's only going to let you get up to a certain level. Anyway, apparently your Fuel has been rooted, there's a discussion about it here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-l/401984-lg-l34c-optimus-fuel-how-do-i-root-phone.html

Now I'm really confused......I haven't even touched the darn thing.....HTH did it get rooted?

Upvote 0
She is a virgin, older, and hip. None of your posts made a lotta sense to me (virgin, young, and hip as hell,) so your all talkin' over her head already.
"With Android stuff, it's best to get familiar with Linux OS if ur haven't yet cuz Android is actually MADE from Linux (kind of like an .exe file is made...." blah blah blah... Ease into it guys hola. I'm a virgin at this so she will have to also research a basic book like Androids for Dummies. The whole picture, not little pieces of techno babble.. Wait for her questions.

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0
My best advice is to actually read the forums on your device. Yes Android is built on a Linux System. The kernel for android is Linux. However many users here never used Linux and are able to use the phones the way they wish.

NEVER FEEL LIKE A QUESTION IS DUMB. Please ask we are always eager to help :)

@PattyLynne You said you wish to do a nandroid backup as soon as you figure out how well. You will need a custom Recovery like TWRP or that other one LOL I'm a TWRP user so there is no other IMO.

Do note that in order to install a custom recovery on a device most devices will do a data removal prior to installing the recovery. Just unlocking the bootloader causes this for these devices.

There are all kinds of terms to get used to with Android an I would recommend going to FAQ section to learn more.

Oh and Welcome to the family :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones