Android vs iOs4 need help!

Last Updated:

1. xJamma

xJamma New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and i need some help on deciding which phone to get. I have searched around and have not really found an answer

I'm not sure which phone to get but the obvious choices are an Android phone or the iPhone 4. I know what forum I'm posting on lol so I would like your honest opinions.

I have been leaning towards the iPhone 4 because i used to have an ipod touch and once it was jailbroken it could do almost everything through downloading things off cydia ect.

I've heard of rooting an android phone but I'm a total noob when it comes to android so please could you elaborate.
    Thanks

Advertisement
  2. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

What is it that you want to do?

3. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

the iPhone 4 is nice for sure. But Android is much nicer. You think jailbreaking can let you do a lot, but native Andoid lets you do so much more, it's no comparison.

I have a jailbroken iPhone, loaded with custom dock / themes / folders, and it doesn't compare to Android. Not too mention I get a lot of errors with the customization, and springboard crashes. Very painful.

xJamma likes this.
  4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

^ This. Without knowing what the OP wants/needs it's difficult to give any sort of meaningful recommendation.

5. xJamma

xJamma New Member This Topic's Starter

I would like to be able to use it for everyday use, Internet, Music, Video, Photos, Games and Applications also I would like to be able to customize my phone and tweak things to my preferences

6. imwjl

imwjl Member

I like my touch would not be getting an iPhone because of AT&T. I'm a sys admin and one site I work at has 1300+ cel phone users and two other sites have sales and service staff all over the US so I know well how much better Verizon is.

So far I'm liking my Android phone in may ways but it's nowhere in the league of Blackberry if what you really want is a great telephone and messaging machine. I'm trying to see if the fun stuff can outweigh my need for a business tool.

I love some musician's tools I have with my Apple side, found a few with Android but not (yet) as good. It's an area where they have come along fast so I have hope for more.

Have fun shopping.

7. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

Internet: By internet, I assume you mean the browsing experience. Both are pretty equal as far as I'm concerned. There have been a couple sites where the formatting didn't show up correctly as it did on my iPhone, but I think that's more of a fluke than the rule.

Music: This one I give to Apple. Although I'm sure there are a lot of people that will disagree, in my opinion, the music experience on an Android phone just doesn't compare to the seamless iPod experience on the iPhone. Also, if you already use iTunes, syncing directly with it is easier than using something like doubletwist.

Video: Android has more options for video. You can use several different formats and have no issues. I noticed the galaxy s line was very good at video. With the iPhone, you're stuck adding it to iTunes as an mp4 and syncing. One advantage for the time being for the iPhone, is that Netflix has an app which lets you stream video over 3G and WiFi. There is an android version in development though.

Games: iPhone, hands down. The gaming experience on Android is just not there yet. Don't get me wrong, there are some fun games but they're just not of the same caliber. My opinion, of course.

Applications: Pretty much dead even, IMO. There may be more apps available for the iPhone but that doesn't mean they're all good. I have for the most-part been able to find Android equivalents to the iPhone apps I use. Android applications however do have more access to your phones functions, meaning they can work together really well.

Customizability and Tweaking: Android. No question. It's not even close in this category.

Everything I've said above applies to stock iOS and stock Android. There are some ways around iPhone limitations by jailbreaking, but it's just not as easy as the out of the box experience Android has.

xJamma likes this.
  8. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I'd generally agree with all of this, except for the Applications part. I'd give the edge there to iOS simply because of all the apps they have. You can almost guarantee you'll find an app to do XYZ because of all the selection out there. The Android Marketplace has a lot of good apps for sure, but it's also flooded with junk apps IMO and you don't find that so much in the iTunes store just because Apple keeps such a tight reign on it.

9. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

I'd give the edge on browsing to Android, since Android can do flash.

And the Apple apps store has a ton of junk apps as well. I'd give the edge to Android since you don't have to go through Apple's mysterious approval process to get the apps you want. I find I have most of the apps that I use on iPhone available for Android.

A couple of other points: multi-tasking is better on Android, and the notifications are much better on Android.

10. Sulfur

Sulfur Well-Known Member

I'd have to give android market, browser, and gaming the edge, unlike ashycat.

Knowing what permissions an app will access is a must, as well not having BS corperate approval. Browsing just seems more... desktop-ish than iOS, and flash is a nice perk. Finally, emulators make androids gaming experience/library vastly superior to iOS's.