• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android vs. Iphone 4

fizgig

Dec 12, 2009
Thought people might find this interesting. The company I work for gave me an iPhone 3G round about the time it came out. I had it for about a year or so and was then given the Motorola Droid when that phone came out. I had the droid up to mid September of 2010 when I accidentally dropped it and cracked the screen. I had a hacked 2.2 ROM on it. I was then given the iPhone 4. (Yeah, the company I work for is awesome...) Anyhow, I thought I'd share my thoughts of the differences between the two platforms.

(I'll update this email as I think/learn of more)

-Pros of iPhone 4 over Android
  1. Very cool imovie app on the phone. Limiting and costs $5 extra but still neat.
  2. My exchange folders are shown in true nested view instead of flattened view.

-Pros of Android over iPhone 4-
  1. My android phone had a status light so I'd know if someone called or emailed me without having to turn it on.
  2. Most phones allow you to upgrade the interior SD card
  3. Built in turn-by-turn directions! I used this countless times and it worked well every time. Gonna really miss this.
  4. Full support for gmail. I guess I mostly mean gmail labels.
  5. Google voice built in. That was really cool.
  6. I can make different sounds for different email accounts! This is nice since I'll ignore personal emails when I run but work emails I'll check out. Can't do this anymore.
  7. Widgets!!!! I had my agenda, todo list and news/weather on my home screen. Now, on the iphone 4, all I have are app icons. This really sucks.
  8. I can replace the default lame software keyboard with Swype or shape writer. I'm much slower writing emails on the iPhone and it really bothers me.

I'll mention that I found apps that fulfilled my needs on both platforms. As far as I'm concerned, the app offerings are even. I know there are more for the iphone but if I don't need them, does that matter?

Also, I haven't had any dropped calls yet. I'm not in a great area (Santa Rosa, California) and I have 1 bar most of the time in my house but that doesn't seem to make a difference. I am using a case so I'm sure that helps.

What would I choose knowing the above? I'd choose any Android phone over the iPhone 4. If they made an Android phone with an iPhone camera, that would be heaven. I'm not complaining by any means about getting free smart phones but thought this might be an interesting post for others.

It's not really fair to compare the 3-month old iPhone 4 with the 10-month old Droid. Some modern Androids like the Epic and the Evo have awesome HD cameras. The latest Androids have zippy 1GHz processors for almost no lag. So the only remaining pros for the iPhone are iMovie and proper Exchange support.

Your Droid pros are good because they apply to all Android phones.

Thanks for sharing your opinions!

Upvote 0
It's not really fair to compare the 3-month old iPhone 4 with the 10-month old Droid. Some modern Androids like the Epic and the Evo have awesome HD cameras. The latest Androids have zippy 1GHz processors for almost no lag. So the only remaining pros for the iPhone are iMovie and proper Exchange support.

The iPhone 4's camera is still better than the latest/greatest Android phones. Now equipped with HDR, its even better. Also even with 1ghz processors, there's still lag.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones