• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

android vs iphone4

njtexas

Mar 21, 2011
I've decided to make the switch from a blackberry to a Droid or Iphone. I have verizon. However, I'm leaning towards a Droid. I like the size of the Iphone. My friend has the Verizon Thunderbolt and it seems so big.

Is there a Droid out there that is the size of the Iphone? I am not interested in the Droid 1, 2 or Droid Pro. Any suggestions? Coming from an 8330 blackberry curve, does it really matter if I go with 3G vs. 4G? Anyway, I'd love some feedback on which Verizon droid is solid yet not as huge as the T-bolt.

Thanks

Coming from what you are coming from, you wont really need the LTE connectivity. But it will probably be nice. Unfortunately, all of Verizons current LTE phones have 4.3in displays.

The Samsung Fascinate (which is pretty "old" in smartphone-years) and the Droid Incredible 2 both offer higher level android experience, 3G, and smaller 4in Displays. If you want something smaller you are indeed looking at Droid, Droid 2, Citrus or the extra-old Droid Eris and Original Incredible (which you cant even buy from them i believe).

Upvote 0
Coming from an 8330 blackberry curve, does it really matter if I go with 3G vs. 4G?
You do realize that none of the carriers are providing TRUE 4G at this time. They are merely enhancing the 3G to provide a 3.5G. Someone has posted a detailed explanation on this, but I can't remember the title or the sub-forum. You might want to do a search if you are interested to read it. It's very educational and keeps you from being fooled by the carriers.

Reactions: northendtrooper
Upvote 0
You do realize that none of the carriers are providing TRUE 4G at this time. They are merely enhancing the 3G to provide a 3.5G. Someone has posted a detailed explanation on this, but I can't remember the title or the sub-forum. You might want to do a search if you are interested to read it. It's very educational and keeps you from being fooled by the carriers.

LTE is the 4G technology. HSPA+ is an upgrade to 3G. I'm feeling generous so I'll call it 3.75G :D

Upvote 0
LTE is the 4G technology. HSPA+ is an upgrade to 3G. I'm feeling generous so I'll call it 3.75G :D

None of the networks in the states provide true 4G. True 4G has to have a peak of at least 100mbps. None of ours do that. The ITU is very confusing in that they keep changing their minds about it but back in october they officially said that LTE (VZW) and WiMAX (Sprint) are NOT true 4G. But then in December they half changed their minds. But in any case they dont deliver close to 100mbs.

Upvote 0
None of the networks in the states provide true 4G. True 4G has to have a peak of at least 100mbps. None of ours do that. The ITU is very confusing in that they keep changing their minds about it but back in october they officially said that LTE (VZW) and WiMAX (Sprint) are NOT true 4G. But then in December they half changed their minds. But in any case they dont deliver close to 100mbs.

LTE has the capability to reach 100mbps but the network providers prefer to throttle the speeds. I don't know what WiMax is capable of.

Upvote 0
Well this got OT pretty fast.
OP: If you compare Iphone 4 to a lot of android phones, it is inferior. Also I believe the community backing on the android is stronger. Make sure what phone you get has a unlocked boot loader because it not matter to you now but in the future when you're warranty expires and the phone isn't worth as much as it was new then you will want to root it and explore it where you couldn't with an Ios unless you jail break it.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

The ITU - the specs body for the standards and naming - took forever and changed course multiple times before settling on WiMAX 2 and LTE Advanced as capable of meeting the final 4G spec.

Within days, they made a public statement that WiMAX, LTE, and HSPA+ all provided superior experiences to 3G and could be officially referred to as 4G.

Once that announcement came, others stopped referring to it as 3.5G - if the ITU says it's 4G, it's 4G.

There's no telling if or when the US will ever get WiMAX 2 or LTE Advanced. We have what we have and it's called 4G.

No need to confuse the issue for someone with a simple question: Blackberry to iPhone or Android, 3G or 4G?

End of off-topic debate.

~~~~~~

Coming from what you are coming from, you wont really need the LTE connectivity. But it will probably be nice. Unfortunately, all of Verizons current LTE phones have 4.3in displays.

The Samsung Fascinate (which is pretty "old" in smartphone-years) and the Droid Incredible 2 both offer higher level android experience, 3G, and smaller 4in Displays. If you want something smaller you are indeed looking at Droid, Droid 2, Citrus or the extra-old Droid Eris and Original Incredible (which you cant even buy from them i believe).

Excellent write-up.

Upvote 0
I would recomend a droid phone over the phone any day, just for the customer service side, with a droid phone you can take it back to your cariers store front with the phone you have to deal with apple if something happens to it, not a problem if you are close to a apple store, sucks if you are not

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones